Would you consider dressing BETTER Than Your Boss?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Robert Collier, Jul 11, 2018.

Would you consider dressing BETTER than your boss?

1. No; I Want That Promotion!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sure; it's Not My Fault I Know About Clothes Than He Does

64.5%
  3. I'm retired

19.4%
  4. I'm self-employed

16.1%
  5. I work from home

6.5%
  6. Umm...my boss is a woman...

3.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Robert Collier

Robert Collier Inactive user

United States
    Texas
    Plano
    Would you consider dressing better than you boss? Share your views with us!:)

Cordially,

Rob

2. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I could have checked many of those blocks as almost all have applied at different times in my business career. By my closing act with my corporate daddy in the mid to late '80's I had done so for quite some time. And the choice is really one of priorities; the pleasure of dressing well, vs. sucking up. Obviously, if one finds oneself among sartorial congnoscenti, your choices can be made easier. If not, it's much bleaker.

Bosses invariably prefer subordinates they view as being like themselves, only less capable. I.e., those to whom they can relate, but by whom they won't feel threatened. This is not necessarily what they say they prefer, but what they actually do prefer. So if you dress better, the less capable and poorly dressed your boss, the more animus you will engender. The choice is yours.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  3. smmrfld

smmrfld Super Member

United States
    California
    Pleasanton
    Too many variables for this to be informative in any way. Useless poll IMO.

4. Robert Collier

Robert Collier Inactive user

United States
    Texas
    Plano
    Sorry you feel that way; even Babe Ruth had more strikeouts than homers! (That is true, isn't it?) :icon_scratch:

Cordially,
    Rob

Clintotron and cortman like this.
  5. 3piece

3piece Senior Member

United States
    CA
    Irvine
    I'm now self employed, but I've done it. You need to know how to read people to know whether it will work against you, though.

6. jts287

jts287 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Rocky River
    Probably, he was a pitcher first.

7. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I don't know if there are any Major league baseball players who have more home runs than strike outs (unless they played like one game and hit a HR and didn't strike out). Polls are always a bit tricky. I think it is important to not show up people who perhaps control your fate. I was burned pretty bad by it at one point early in my career (not related to clothes) but in the process of honestly trying to impress one person I unintentionally made another look stupid (which she kind of was.) Anyhow, lesson learned. Tread carefully grasshopper.

8. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    It depends on the culture of the company. As was said above, too many variables.

9. Acct2000

Acct2000 Connoisseur - Moderator

United States
    Michigan
    Lansing
    Not a good idea in general unless your boss is pretty secure. If your boss dresses in the company norms, you can show yourself to be more interested in your clothes and style than in being a team player.

There can be some instances where it won't hurt you; I can't imagine many where it would actually help you.

SG_67 likes this.
  10. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Mr. B. Scott Robinson Super Member

Karachi, Pakistan - Bangkok, Thailand
    United States
    Pakistan/Thailand
    Karachi/Bangkok
    In my line of employment, absolutely I do.

Someone must uphold the traditional "Pale, Male and Yale" striped pants cookie pusher standard.

:)

In my biz, the men fall into three categories of dress, those who are completely clueless or who don't care (75%), those who cross the threshold of dressing moderately well (15%) and competitive peacocks (10%).

Cheers,

BSR

Clintotron likes this.