Wool socks for hot weather?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by egarrulo, Apr 27, 2012.

1. egarrulo

egarrulo New Member

Spain
    Valencia
    Valencia
    I've discovered that some users here swear by wool socks for hot weather. I'd like to try this myself, but I wonder: are they are talking about regular ribbed socks or about socks expressly made for hot weather from a thin wool fabric? If the latter is true, then I'm having an hard time in finding them here in the UK.

Also, I've read a wool blend of about 80% wool/20% synthetic recommended instead of 100% wool because the former allows the sock to be elastic. Do you confirm?

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. Canadian

Canadian Super Member

Canada
    Alberta
    Lethbridge
    I wear wool socks in the summer if exercising or hiking. Othewise, regular dress socks do. They (wool) have the advantage that even wet, they remain comfortable.

Tom

3. mrp

mrp Senior Member

United States
    Florida
    Cocoa
    I wear wool socks daily, OTC dress socks (some ribbed other smooth).

4. egarrulo

egarrulo New Member

Spain
    Valencia
    Valencia
    Do you wear ribbed wool socks in hot weather, too?

5. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Tech and Business Advice Guru

United States
    New York
    East Hampton
    Quality merino wool socks are good for most of the year. On extremely hot Summer days you may find cotton to be a bit cooler. The basic difference is that wool will wick the moisture away from your foot whereas cotton will get wet and stay wet - to the point of feeling slimy.

As for the blends, 80/20 is fine but remember that the higher the wool content, the better the moisture removal properties.

You can find a fuller discussion of this here.

6. RM Bantista

RM Bantista Senior Member

United States
    New Mexico
    Albuquerque
    Mr.egarrulo,
    Of Wales, you have many opportunities to find local, regional, and national products that may give good service. Our good moderator, Mr. Kabbaz, has provided a sound answer for your question, a person of great experience and knowledge that certainly exceeds mine own.
    If possible and affordable, Cashmere and silk over the calf socks are best for all kinds of situations that are not too extreme. (Other dreadful circumstances are available that would not be well addressed by the suggestion.) Cotton is known as 'death fabric' by those who wander far afield into wilderness and is shunned for the reasons Mr. Alexander mentions. In less stressful circumstances, cotton may be comfortable and woven so as to breathe and wear well without many problems. (The manner of construction matters much, and one is always seeking some better solution.) Cashmere and silk blends are very wearable. Wool and Spandex are not as fine but also may give long service. Cotton is versatile and may be combined with nylon and Spandex for a comfortable sock provided that one is prepared to change them out for some other thing at some point.
    Bamboo products, which are very synthetic in their production, may also be comfortable for long periods, provided that there is no toe-seam, the presence of such being a drawback in most instances.
    There are those socks which are not affordable for me that are actually probably very wise purchases. However, at the moment one may only aspire to rise to the middle-class rather than take such as so.
    Live long and Prosper: as Mr. Dr. Spock said in the television program.
    rudy

7. Jovan

Jovan Honors Member

United States
    New Mexico
    Albuquerque
    egarrulo: Usually they are thin.

Make sure you hang dry them. I found out the hard way that tumble drying, even on the lowest possible setting, is the easiest way to wear out your favourite dress socks fast. I'm even starting to air dry my nice casual socks.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  8. mrp

mrp Senior Member

United States
    Florida
    Cocoa
    They are ribbed but as mentioned "dress" (a fairly light sock).

My impression when you mention "ribbed wool socks" is you are thinking of a thick sock (they weight that might be hand knitted).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  9. egarrulo

egarrulo New Member

Spain
    Valencia
    Valencia
    Awesome resource, thank you and thanks to the writer. And thanks everyone for feedbacks and suggestions.

My impression has always been that ribbed socks were a little heavier than smooth ones. That's the reason I asked for clarification about the issue.

It seems to me that here in the UK there are a lot of quality wool items, but more on the heavier side. At least, all the Pantherella ribbed wool socks I've seen seemed a bit thicker than what I was looking for. This is the land of tweed, after all. Also, OTC socks - which I prefer - seem much less common than shorter ones. OTOH, when I was in Italy, I had an hard time shopping for thicker wool socks in the winter, and usually resorted to wear two socks on each foot at a time.

As for the hotter summer days, I'm considering trying out either silk or linen OTC socks.

10. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Tech and Business Advice Guru

United States
    New York
    East Hampton
    Myself and I thank you for your compliment. :icon_smile: