Why I Wear Non-Iron Shirts

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Mr. Mac, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac Senior Member

I stumbled across and thought you gentlemen might find it humorous.

Other than the fact that wearing them makes it makes it easier to sell them, Esquire nicely illustrates why (in roundabout terms) I like non-iron shirts:

http://www.esquire.com/style/endorsementshirt0507

2. Cruiser

Cruiser Connoisseur

United States
    TN
    Spring Hill
    I wear all cotton, non-iron dress shirts for one reason, they look better. My brand of choice is Lands End. People talk about them being hot in the summer but I can't really tell much of a difference.

I have quite a few shirts that must be ironed, primarily OCBDs; but these are worn mainly with jeans. I think the wrinkles look good with the casual nature of jeans, especially when worn with a tweed jacket.

Cruiser

3. harvey_birdman

harvey_birdman Senior Member

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Hawley
    I find ironing rather relaxing and don't mind doing it once a week. It is a small price to pay for a more comfortable shirt.

4. Leighton

Leighton Super Member

Hmm, only wrinkles I notice are around the arms. Which should ideally be covered by the jacket anyway.

That said, I usually wear non-irons because they require less upkeep. If I'm feeling particularly lazy I can just throw them in the dryer rather than really ironing them. Then again, I'm still a student so I'm not expected to look pristine.

5. AskDandy

AskDandy New Member

I agree they tend to look nice, but I always feel like I'm wearing plastic sheeting instead of cotton. My skin is easily irritated by them, too. But then, my skin is easily irritated. If you can wear them without discomfort, I think they make some sense. But... remember that you are wearing chemicals.

6. 3holic

3holic Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Non-iron shirts do have their function in today's hectic world and frazzled lifestyles. But nothing beats a freshly pressed crisp cotton shirt.

7. Finian McLonergan

Finian McLonergan Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I don't think the article's author has made a good fist of explaining the benefits of a non-iron shirt. He appears to suggest that the main advantage is that you can keep wearing it day aftere day because it won't wrinkle.
    Ugh.

If you wear a traditional shirt all day, and claim to be a paid-up member of a civilised society, you will have to change it at the end of the day. Perhaps before, if you are going out again in the evening. By then, it will have acquired some wrinkles, but not many. Wash it, hang it up to dry for a day or so, and then iron it while it's slightly damp. As I understand it, the non-iron shirt should be gently tumble dried on a low heat setting in order to activate the non-iron finishes have been incorporated into the cloth. This is where it gains its advantage, i.e., in the time it takes to be washed, dried and ready to wear again. But perhaps I've misunderstood this as I don't use non-iron shirts.

But I can fully understand why people who don't have the time or perhaps the inclination to bother with the palaver associated with properly processing traditional cotton shirts adopt non-iron shirts. It seems like a perfectly reasonable compromise to me. And a lot better, I think, than handing over your fine cotton shirts to the depradations of a local laundry and its inflatable shirt dummy.

But by focusing the non-iron shirt's ability to look unwrinkled day after day even when not washed he has, unwittingly perhaps, revealed one reason why they are looked on with some suspicion.

8. bimmerzimmer

bimmerzimmer Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Non-iron shirts. Yeccchhhh. They feel terrible, they look awful. They always tend to look not-quite-pressed when worn with business or formal clothes and too stiff when worn casually. They look like they're made of plastic sheeting. A real cotton shirt is to be worn three ways:

1) Cleaned at a reputable cleaners.
    2) Washed and ironed yourself.
    3) Casually non-ironed (but hung dry then given a quick tumble to soften the creases).

Professionally manufactured non-iron shirts are to be worn one way:
    1) Not at all.

bimmerzimmer

9. Checkerboard 13

Checkerboard 13 Senior Member<br>Moderator

United States
    CA
    HP
    Admin Post
    I fully agree, with 1) and 1) being my choices.

10. Peak and Pine

Peak and Pine Honors Member

United States
    Maine
    Mars Hill
    Bimmerzimmer, outside of really enjoying your name, I'd like to give you a big fat thumbs up. Non-iron shirts: the vinyl siding of torso coverings.

11. Peak and Pine

Peak and Pine Honors Member

United States
    Maine
    Mars Hill
    And I wanna say more, beginning with my plunging respect for dear friend Cruiser. (Cruz: how could you?) Non-iron cottons look exactly like 60/40. Feel that way too (tho they tend not to fuzz up after washing). The same witches brew into which they're dunked that keeps them from wrinkling also prevents a hot iron from imprinting a sharp crease. Ugh. (I borrowed the ugh from Finian, above, thanks.) Starch, an apparent anathema here to maybe all but me, helps a bit.

12. WouldaShoulda

WouldaShoulda Suspended

United States
    VA
    Alexandria
    I've looked at shirts from both sides now...

From up and down, but still somehow,

It's non-iron illusions I recall,

I really don't know shirts at all!!

13. PJC in NoVa

PJC in NoVa Connoisseur

Thanks alot, Earworm. Now I'm gonna have to walk around all day with that awful, drippy 60s ditty playing over and over in my head and slowly eating away at whatever shreds and shards of sanity I have left. The horror . . . .:crazy:

14. Preacher

Preacher Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I have been wearing non-iron shirts for a while now and I like them. I recently bought several from BB along with one other luxury cotton shirt. I think that the luxury cotton shirt feels nicer but I still prefer the non-irons. When I preach I will sometimes take off my jacket (is was 110 here yesterday) and the non-irons look better.

15. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    LOL. Gentlemen: I submit to you that the best solution to this moral(?) dilemma confronting us all, is to buy and wear nothing but 'must be ironed' shirts and get yourselves an old fashioned wife/significant other...who does laundry and finds ironing to be relaxing, almost a Zen-like experience. In so doing, we will be keeping faith with our true beliefs and still be looking good! ;)

16. 32rollandrock

32rollandrock Connoisseur

United States
    illinois
    springfield
    It's OK to have one, maybe two, non-irons for emergencies. We all, or most of us, find us without an ironed shirt in the morning and behind schedule. But, except for that, they belong on the ash heap. A dress shirt with slight wrinkles in the afternoon is, IMHO, becoming a symbol of status and class.

17. Penang Lawyer

Penang Lawyer Senior Member

About seven years ago BB introduced me to their non-iorn shirts. At first I thought that is was something like the "Brooksweave" of the '60's. It is not. The non-iron shirft that I have are soft breathe well and are an all around good value. Yes I do iron them but when I travel they get washed and hung. I have even had BB make them up in their select shirts.

18. CuffDaddy

CuffDaddy Connoisseur

Bah. Non-iron shirts are the antithesis of style. I don't want to wear plastic, and I don't want to wear a shirt that has been treated to make it look and act like plastic.

19. Cruiser

Cruiser Connoisseur

United States
    TN
    Spring Hill
    I agree on this point, and this is precisely why I don't wear plastic patent leather shoes; however, my non-iron shirts neither look nor feel like plastic. They are actually quite soft, much softer than a shirt that has been starched. If they weren't I wouldn't wear them either.

Cruiser

20. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac Senior Member

From Esquire:
    If you're the kind of guy who goes to an Italian tailor who makes shirts out of the ass hairs of the endangered Mongolian truffle goat, like certain editors of this magazine, then obviously the L.L. Bean wrinkle-resistant shirt is not for you. It's thick and a bit stiff and not the greatest thing for a hot summer day. When I put it on, I always say a little prayer of gratitude that I'm not cursed (like certain editors of this magazine) with extremely sensitive nipples.