-->

Why aren't tweed trousers more popular?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by twoinhandknot, Jan 6, 2018.

1. twoinhandknot

twoinhandknot Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    I've wondered for a while now why trousers in the tweed fabric/style aren't too popular. Are they uncomfortable to wear? Tweed jackets are practically an institution!

2. 127.72 MHz

127.72 MHz Advanced Member

United States
    Oregon
    Portland
    Tweed pants are not what I would call ubiquitous, they are not inexpensive, and thus not too popular.

They are popular with me though.
    My 2 centavos.
    Regards,

3. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    Tweed doesn’t make up into good trousers in my experience because the cloth doesn’t hold its shape so well. Also, Tweed is rough against the legs and would need a full lining. Because it is so popular in jackets, trousers need to be in a different material so they don’t clash with the popular jackets.

Tweed isn’t such an expensive cloth. I see lots of inexpensive jackets made of Harris Tweed. Good flannel cloth is more expensive, and they are a standard.

melville74 likes this.
  4. 127.72 MHz

127.72 MHz Advanced Member

United States
    Oregon
    Portland
    A majority of my wool trousers are lined to the knee as are my Donegal tweed trousers. They hold up quite well given that I rotate and care for them.

The expense I was referring to is not for the raw cloth, perhaps you have your's tailor made? My expense is referring to the cost for the consumer at retail. But I guess you may be correct, $365. is not too bad for a pair of trousers right? ( Granted expense is quite subjective.)

http://www.bensilver.com/Lambswool-Donegal-Trousers,26698.html#.WlGu1GiIbMI

Maybe you could find some quality tweed trousers for less expense.
    Regards,

5. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Mr. B. Scott Robinson Senior Member

Karachi, Pakistan - Bangkok, Thailand
    United States
    Pakistan/Thailand
    Karachi/Bangkok
    I own a half dozen pair of tweed trousers. Their popularity depends on ones geography. They can be warmish, must be lined to be comfy and are not suited to warm dry climates. Lining adds additional insulation and weight.

In the UK countryside, tweed trousers and schoffel gilets are ubiquitous. The paring is seen as the unofficial school uniform of the country lifestyle set.

Cheers,

BSR

6. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Tweed is less popular in general, but I'm very pleased with the two pair I have finding them both warm and comfortable being half-lined. They don't wrinkle much at all, and hold a crease quite well.

7. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    Good tweed trousers need not be expensive. These are $237 before VAT deduction.
    087FF0B5-7C48-45C0-9AEE-FD65C248E6A8.jpeg

But good tweed trousers are rather scratchy. I have a number of Donnegals lined to the knee which are comfortable. My heavier tweed Cordings are cotton lined to the knee, and I must wear silk long underwear with them or they itch all the way up to my boxer briefs, despite the lining.

Apart from Donnegals, the patterns make them almost impossible to pair with jackets. They are better suited for suits. Flannel on the other hand can go with most everything, is warm, soft and not scratchy.

8. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    Geography plays a large role in the deciding to wear tweed trousers. They are only capable of being worn down here for a very short window of time.

9. fishertw

fishertw Super Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Boone
    I own a pair of the Ben Silver tweed trousers from a year or so ago. They are indeed heavy weight and lined to the knee. Bought them on sale and I wear them in extremely cold weather. Seems to me that they wear well and do not bag as some have noted. I'd like more if I weren't retired and not wearing dress trousers as often as I once did.

127.72 MHz likes this.
  10. Grayland

Grayland Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    Cobleskill
    I have 5-6 pairs of nice quality tweed pants - all found at a local thrift store or through eBay.

melville74 likes this.