Whats everyone reading now and/or read lately

Discussion in 'White Tie' started by mybodymyself, Jul 6, 2011.

1. mybodymyself

mybodymyself New Member

As for me haven't been doing that much reading lately. Found that I hardly read any more as well. Have to say do have times like this and others don't. Guess it depends on the book itself as well.

To the End of the Land, David Grossman and Jessica Cohen (Translator)

A Midwife's Tale : The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. Already viewed the dvd part of it and it was worth the watch. Now, I can't wait the book to learn even more about Ms Ballard.

Finished reading Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far, Bristol Palin and Nancy French

It was definitely worth the purchase and read.

This is taken from another thread and/response that I have done regarding Bristol's mother and Tripp's grandmother.

What is/are Sarah Palin stance/s on family leave act (maternity, paternity, etc)? The reason why I'm asking this here because she didn't bring up in neither of her books. In my opinion this should be a paid one. It should also nation and worldwide as well.

Is there anyone else on here besides whom are getting beyond tired of her still being in the spotlight? That also goes her putting her husband, kids, rest of her family, and friends being in the spotlight and etc. Even though I'm still like her as a person then a politician.

She should just go back to her husband and kids. Instead being in the spotlight. Do feel sorry for her kids and the rest of family and everyone whom is associated with her. Because politics have truly ruined her and her husband for sure. Yeah I could be wrong about this.

Finished reading these few books almost half a mo to 2 mo back now.

The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents.: One Unconventional Detour Around the World, Jennifer Baggett, Holly C. Corbett, Amanda Pressner.It was worth the read. Especially, returning the hardcover because found it was little worn. Had to wait until the paperback was released to read it.

Mountain of Crumbs: A Memoir, Elena Gorokhova a week ago. It was worth read. Especially, since found I learned more about the former Soviet Union then what I already knew about before reading your memoir. Can't wait to read more of Ms Gorokhova's life and/or her mothers life now.

A Father's Love: One Man's Unrelenting Battle to Bring His Abducted Son Home, David Goldman. WOW what a memoir this was and thank you, Mr. Goldman for writing about your ordeal to get Sean back home.

2. halldaniel21

halldaniel21 Member

I recently read Ayn Rand’s novel Fountainhead. This book was recommended to me by a friend who described it as a life-altering work and the best book he had ever read. I greeted this with the cynicism that such emotive comments often deserve. Nevertheless, I bought the book .It explores the intellectual frontiers of personal freedom and responsibility in many magnificent, powerful passages that are worth of applauds.

3. thebot

thebot Well-Known Member

Starting "End Game" by John Mauldin today. Great time to be reading it with the market pull back last week and S&P downgrade yesterday.

4. Francisco D'Anconia

Francisco D'Anconia Well-Known Member

Fountainhead is one of my favorites. Rand's prose and dialog in the book are superlative.

Some favorite Fountainhead passages:

• Roark's interview with the dean

• Roark explaining his design to Mr. Jans

• Dominique's trial testimony

• Roark's response to Wynand's demand that Roark build Wynand's house and then submit to Wynand's design mandate thereafter

• Toohey's explanation of himself and his ends to Keating in Keating's bedroom

Despite my handle, I'm more fond of Fountainhead than Atlas Shrugged. They have similar themes and philosophical messages, but to me the SciFi aspects of Atlas Shrugged erode the story and the message. And Atlas Shrugged bangs on over and over again. By the time you get to "This is John Galt Speaking," you've heard what he's going to say three or four times already.

5. Francisco D'Anconia

Francisco D'Anconia Well-Known Member

Reading right now: The Last Tycoon by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

6. Zakk

Zakk Well-Known Member

"An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa" by Rick Atkinson. It's outstanding so far.

7. bblizzard

bblizzard Active Member

I haven't finished WITCH&WIZARD by James Patterson yet :pic12337:

8. TheXMJohnson

TheXMJohnson New Member

I just started Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

9. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

I recently reread The Seven Pillars of Wisdom. I think revisiting Lawrence once a decade is a good idea.

After that I picked up Charlie Wilson's War. Now I'm reading Locher's With Star and Crescent, A Full and Authentic Account of a Recent Journey with a Caravan from Bombay to Constantinople...

Seems I'm lost in Arabia these days.

10. take_five

take_five Well-Known Member

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    A Way With Words, Part III: Grammar for Adults by Michael Drout

Note. Listening to actually as I don't have time nor desire to spend my little spare time reading books these days.

11. Kelorth

Kelorth Well-Known Member

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

To complement the HBO series...lol

12. blim8183

blim8183 New Member

Nice. I spent a few months last spring and summer reading all of the books that are out so far. The series has started to diverge from the books in many ways but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. In fact, after last night's episode, I'm starting to think the TV series might be better than the books.

13. dks202

dks202 Well-Known Member

Gulliver's Travels the unedited version. I had never read the original unabridged "adult" version. This isn't the way you remembered it from cartoons.

The last few chapters make for very interesting reading

14. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Life and Labor in the Old South, by Phillips. It's an interesting study of plantation economics, and it pairs well with a smooth single barrel bourbon.

15. Shaver

Shaver Well-Known Member

William S Burroughs 'Cities of the Red Night'

16. ajo

ajo Well-Known Member

Wow lets do the time warp, read the trilogy back in gasp 1982. Currently reading Music for Silenced Voices Shostakovich and his fifteen quartets.

17. Shaver

Shaver Well-Known Member

Oh! Shall we burn all books once they've been published for, say, 12 months? Or am I simply imagining a teeny tiny hint of dismissiveness in that comment? Maybe I am....... maybe not. :rolleyes2:

Anyway, more positively; Shostakovich's second piano concerto is a work of extraordinary melancholy beauty. My wonderfully talented partner plays this for me, on lazy Sunday mornings. *sigh*

18. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur<br>Moderator

A bit less than a year back, I picked up a copy of Pat Conroy', My Reading Life, from a brick and mortar bookstore that was being put out of business by the onslaught of online book sellers. Finally got around to reading My Reading Life about four months back and enjoyed it so much that I've since purchased and read a few more of Pat Conroys books, to include: The Water Is Wide, The Lords of Discipline, The Great Santini, South of Broad and Prince of Tides. Have yet to pick up copies of My Losing Season, Beach Music and The Boo.

Any of you southern boys, born or perhaps just choosing to live below the Mason Dixon line, ya just have to be a fan of Pat Conroy. Hell, I'm a Yankee and I can't get enough of his writing!

19. ajo

ajo Well-Known Member

Dismissiveness hardly, quite simply the book is sitting on my library shelf where it has been for years and I regard it as one of his foremost works.

And lucky you for the partner that has the ability to play Shostakovich.

20. unklbeemer

unklbeemer Member

Just picked up "The Ivy Look: Classic American Clothing" by Graham Marsh at Half Priced Books.