What Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by kali77, Aug 10, 2006.

1. winghus

winghus Senior Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Greensboro
    I have no clue how this got posted in this thread, deleted.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    A much cooler day here in NYC than yesterday - harbinger of autumn, hence the season's first tweed . . .

Jacket, shirt, trousers, shoes & PS - BB
    Tie - PRL

IMG_5989 (555x1280).jpg IMG_5990 (834x1280).jpg IMG_5988 (787x1280).jpg IMG_5987 (870x1280).jpg

bernoulli likes this.
  3. Howard

Howard Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    Bayside
    Crusty, I love the brown suit. :)

4. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    ^^^ Thank you, Howard.

The weather has cooled and cleared here in NYC, so it's back to suits and ties, and for today, new shoes - my first pair of G & G's, via the clearance sale at Paul Stuart's.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
    Shirt - BB
    Tie - Andrew's Ties
    PS - Robert Talbott
    Braces - New & Lingwood
    Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
    Shoes - Gaziano & Girling, via Paul Stuart

IMG_6050 (580x1280).jpg IMG_6051 (801x1280).jpg IMG_6049 (819x1280).jpg IMG_6047 (1188x1280).jpg IMG_6048 (785x1280).jpg

5. Howard

Howard Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    Bayside
    Crusty, I like the nice sunny bright tie.

upr_crust likes this.
  6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Honors Member

United States
    New York
    NY
    Gaziano & Girling: oh yeah! (does Roger P know about these?)

Edit add: I should have read the new shoe thread first, of course Roger P knows all about them.

7. never behind

never behind New Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Tardy response but I really like this ensemble. Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. fiftyforfifty

fiftyforfifty Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    NY
    New York

Sir, as always its awesome, specially tie and shoes. But sir one thing I feel there is something strange with first two images, suit is reflecting different pattern not the way it is.

9. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    Thank you!

Very small patterns and digital photographs do not always get along well - the pixiliations get strange depending on scale.

Yesterday, I showed you all the new shoes that I bought on sale at Paul Stuart, and the ones that my husband bought. Well, yesterday afternoon, I threw fiscal probity aside, and bought one of the last remaining pairs of the shoes my husband bought, in my size (for better or worse, my husband and I wear different sizes). Today is how I'm wearing them.

Jacket - Chester Barrie, via Austin Reed
    Shirt & trousers - BB
    Bow tie - Paul Stuart
    PS - Ashear
    Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

IMG_6056 (546x1280).jpg IMG_6057 (849x1280).jpg IMG_6055 (759x1280).jpg IMG_6053 (1191x1280).jpg IMG_6054 (845x1280).jpg

Cassadine, video2 and bernoulli like this.
  10. Howard

Howard Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    Bayside
    very nice bow tie Crusty, is it pre-tied?

11. ItalianStyle

ItalianStyle New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Cambridge
    I think photo #4 proves that it isn't (unless upr_crust is VERY skilled with Photoshop)...

upr_crust, I have to admire how you always use the same poses. Makes is very easy to compare outfits.

12. fiftyforfifty

fiftyforfifty Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    NY
    New York
    Great choice

13. Fading Fast

United States
    New York
    NY
    Upr, on buying the same shoes as your husband - good move, those are beautiful shoes.

RE your new Gaziano & Girling, what do you think of the brand - is it worth full price (doesn't mean you would pay it) or is it only a brand that is worth its sale price?

The distinction is, for example, many things at Brook Brothers are intentionally overpriced so that they can go on sale to what, IMHO, is their "value" price - where you are paying about what the quality is worth versus other brands in the market. Alden, on the other hand, is expensive, but IMHO, is fairly priced at full retail - the quality-price value of its full price is competitive with other brands.

So are G&Gs worth full price or are they marked up so that they can be marked down to their fair-market-value price?

14. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    As noted below, no, Howard, I really have to tie that bow tie every time I wear it. I had to use Youtube to learn how to tie a bow tie, but it has been worth it.

Thank you. The set series of poses is due to the fact that I take photos early in the morning, often times before full consciousness has set in, so not having to think about poses is a good thing.

It is a very tricky thing to assign an absolute value to a consumer item, though I can say that I am unlikely to ever pay full price for G&G, not as a reflection of the quality of their construction or design (both quite good), but as a reflection of the limits of my own sense of what I am willing to spend on a particular item of clothing. The motivation in buying the G&G's that I did buy was the fact that I had never owned a pair before, they are handsome shoes, and the price at which I was purchasing them was unusually low. I have tried on shoes at G&G's shop in Jermyn St., and, for a pair of their Deco line of shoes, in a style that I cannot resist, I might put aside my fiscal probity and pull the trigger, but that would be a rare day indeed.

Fading Fast and Jgarner197 like this.
  15. Jgarner197

Jgarner197 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Idaho
    Post Falls
    I always wished I had a cool story that my father or grandfather taught me how to tie a bow tie as a right of passage... I too learned from YouTube, lol! :)

16. Fading Fast

United States
    New York
    NY
    Same here - had to learn on my own. However, since it was in the pre-YouTube days, I learned from one of those stupid cards that, in theory, showed, in six or eight panels, the "steps" needed to tie it correctly. Good luck with that - it was brutal. Based on Upr and I being in the same age zip code, he either came to bowties later in life or, like Fred Flintstone, had some animal-powered, stone-based early version of the internet. :)

More broadly, I, too, wish I had a cool story about my watch being handed down from my grandfather to my father to me (versus, the truth that my very cool vintage ones - see avatar - come from Ebay) or my dad showing me how to tie a bowtie (instead, as noted, it was the dreaded card), but it is what it is. I do have a neat (best guess) '40s leather dob kit of his that my mom gave me when he passed away - it's as Golden Era as they come and the one thing of his that I have.

Jgarner197 likes this.
  17. video2

video2 Senior Member

Lithuania
    Kaunas
    Kaunas
    O my God

18. video2

video2 Senior Member

Lithuania
    Kaunas
    Kaunas
    Very nice

19. Jgarner197

Jgarner197 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Idaho
    Post Falls
    Oh dear those cards were never much help for me. My local Haberdasher gave me a card to start learning on and after several attempts I abandoned it for YouTube lol!

20. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    FF, to satisfy your question as to my proficiency with tying a bow tie, I came to it late in the game, not truly learning how to do so until only a couple of years ago, though the idea of a Stone Age version of the Internet does have its appeal.

For the record, my age zip code increases very soon - less than five weeks away . . .

The beginning of another week, and a tie that I've had for a while, but hadn't yet worn. Still sunny and mild in NYC.

Suit - BBGF
    Shirt - Tyrwhitt
    Tie - Paul Stuart
    Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
    Shoes - Paul Stuart

IMG_6062 (539x1280).jpg IMG_6063 (833x1280).jpg IMG_6061 (808x1280).jpg IMG_6059 (1211x1280).jpg IMG_6060 (796x1280).jpg