What Are You Wearing Today 2.0?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by mikel, Dec 27, 2017.

1. mikel

mikel Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
  2. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    Sensible wrote:

"Upr., this is an outstanding outfit, and very nicely put together. I like the soft blue with the brown suit. I usually wear either a yellow shirt, a tan one or an ecru shade with a darker brown suit, but this blue is also very pleasing. Any of these colors, in my opinion, is better than stark white which, I find, to sometimes be a little too 'harsh' when paired with brown.

You mentioned a slightly shorter jacket, and this is certainly flattering if one is on the short/regular borderline as you mention. However, if one is a definite long, you have to be a bit careful not to wear something too short so that it doesn't look as if you have outgrown the things you are wearing.

What really 'seals' this outfit as a winner is the amazing balmoral boot. I just love them, and I am quite sure that you have the identical item in black.* I have some boots from Johnston and Murphy and also from Paul Fredrick, but I had to settle for a blucker style, not the more formal closed bottom like in this boot. I am sure that these, being from PS, were far more expensive than mine. Even as it is, I get compliments on the ones I have because, being in academia and in science, I am perhaps in even more of a sartorial deset than you are.

* I likely have dozens of things in which I have purchased the same item in various colors: suits, pants, shoes, shirts, sweaters, even overcoats. I like basic styles and, once I find one I like, I enjoy getting it in various colors."

I, as you do, do not like white shirts with brown suits, finding that white does little to complement most brown suits, making a better contrast with navy or grey suits.

At 6' 1", you are clearly in the "long" category, whereas I am now 5' 8" (I seem to have shrunk an inch in the last few years) and am now a borderline short suit wearer - depending on make and model. I do make sure that my suit jackets cover my ass, and ideally, the hem falls at the first joint of my thumb.

As for balmoral boots, I have a pair in black, which I am wearing today, and would have posted to this thread, save for the fact that my ISP decided to take a powder sometime overnight, and is not scheduled to be back online until sometime this evening. I will post photos of today's attire as soon as I am able, Verizon willing. For the record, my black balmoral boots, though also from Paul Stuart, are not exactly the same as my brown ones, due to the fact that both were bought on sale - beggars can't be choosers :).

I am told that academia is a sartorial desert, and my office, if not a total sartorial desert, is definitely at least a sartorial savannah - close to desert conditions. I am, I believe, the local oasis :).

3. Howard

Howard Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    Bayside
  4. mikel

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
    Admin Post
    I know, right?

I would share what I'm wearing today, but I certainly do not dress nearly as stylishly as most of our members do :)

Hoping that watching this thread will provide me with some inspiration though!

5. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    I would have posted more than mere text to this new thread, save for the fact that my home ISP has been out of service for the last 24 hours or more, allegedly returning to service later this morning. I will post the last two days' worth of photos as soon as I am able, then resume posting as normal tomorrow (I hope).

mikel likes this.
  6. mikel

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
  7. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    Back after nearly two days with no Internet service.

Yesterday:

Suit - New & Lingwood
    Shirt - BB
    Tie - Charvet
    Braces - Paul Stuart
    Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
    Vintage watch chain
    PS - BB
    Boots - Paul Stuart house brand
    Overcoat - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
    Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
    Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center

IMG_7100.JPG IMG_7099.JPG IMG_7098.JPG IMG_7095.JPG IMG_7096.JPG

Today:

Suit & shirt - BB MTM
    Tie - Turnbull & Asser
    Cufflinks - London Badge & Button Co.
    Vintage watch chain
    PS - PRL
    Boots - Cheaney, via Harrods, London
    Overcoat - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
    Scarf - Paul Stuart
    Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

IMG_7109.JPG IMG_7108.JPG IMG_7107.JPG IMG_7103.JPG IMG_7106.JPG

8. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    Taking a day off from suits and ties . . .

Sweater, shirt, corduroys, and cap - BB
    Boots - Paul Stuart
    Puffer coat - Soia & Kyo
    Scarf - Johnstons of Elgin

IMG_7114.JPG IMG_7113.JPG IMG_7112.JPG

9. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^
    As always, whether it be formal, dressy or even just casual, upr_crust, you set the mark for how it should be done. I am particularly encouraged by your rig for today because I think I have the means at hand to come close to replicating it (different knit pattern on the sweater, less colorful socks and RM William's Craftsman boots, rather than the Paul Stuart Chelsea's you are wearing). Thank you for the inspiration to try! :)

kev'n and upr_crust like this.
  10. upr_crust

upr_crust Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    New York
    Thank you, Eagle. I must confess, however, that the major motivation for today's attire was the weather, as it is currently a whopping 17F outside, with a wind chill factor making it feel like 9F, hence the sweater, cords, and puffer jacket.