-->

What are moleskins?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by JWM1960, Mar 17, 2009.

1. JWM1960

JWM1960 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    MD
    West Friebdship
    What are moleskins? Are they waxed? Can they be waxed? Are they water repellent? Are they warm? Are they usually lined with flannel?

2. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Honors Member

United States
    Kentucky
    Louisville
    Moleskin is a cloth. It's a heavy cotton flannel. Usually made up into odd trousers, which are referred to as "moleskins" for short. I've never seen them waxed; they're no more water repellent than any other cotton trouser; and they are usually quite warm (depending on the weight of the cloth).

Moleskin can also refer to a pad placed in the heel or tongue of a shoe to add friction and cut down on slippage.

3. JWM1960

JWM1960 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    MD
    West Friebdship
    Orgetorix...thanks for the info. I was referring to moleskin trousers in my questions. Thanks much...JWM

4. DougNZ

DougNZ Advanced Member

New Zealand
    Hawkes Bay
    Hastings
    Moleskins tend to be heavier than other cotton trousers and are usually associated with country wear. As a result they are mainly found in tans, browns and greens, though not exclusively, and are usually cut with a fairly close leg (similar to jeans).

I wear very little else in the way of trousers in the colder months. They are super warm, comfortable and durable.

5. Andy

Andy Site Creator/Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Palm Desert
    Admin Post
    And always after you post check down at the very bottom of the page for relevant previous topics!

6. aluminiumfish

aluminiumfish Active Member with Corp. Privileges

UK
    Hampshire
    Basingstoke
    Moleskins are quite thick and lose their colour easily because of this.They get creases that don't really change postion ( from wear in crotch, centre crease, crease from washing in small machine without much movement etc)....the creases stick out and wear off the fabric giving it a faded look.If washed in too small a machine you'll get a marbled looking disaster.
    Thats why they are really casual comfortable-gentle outdoors type ( gardening or pretending to).The fabric is so thick...it will last for years and years .. way longer than jeans and warmer too as they have a lovely short soft nap.

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Honors Member and King Fop

United States
    California
    Long Beach
    I have for many years assumed that the fabric "moleskin" (not to be confused with the stuff you use for blistered feet) was the same as what we commonly call in the States "chamois cloth" that is used frequently for shirts, as offered by L.L. Bean and similar firms. Am I correct in this assumption?

8. nicksull

nicksull Super Member

I think so..... Although for shirts it would be a significantly lighter weight of cloth. Both moleskin and chamois cloth have a spongy suedy feel not unlike chamois leather. My dad used to polish his Ford Cortina with his. Chamois Leather (pron: 'shammy Leather') that is not his moleskins...

9. joeyzaza

joeyzaza Senior Member

United States
    PA
    PITTSBURGH
    My chamois shirts seem a lot softer and thicker than my moleskin pants.

10. GBR

GBR Super Member

Moleskin is a heavy cotton cloth. Trousers are usually made from this material for rural pursuits.

It is not normally waxed or otherwise treated although I daresay someone will have tried it..