-->

Western Boot Care

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by MovingForward, Nov 23, 2017.

1. MovingForward

MovingForward New Member

United States
    Texas
    Laredo
    Hello and Happy Thanksgiving!

I bought some western boots and would like to get advice on how to care for them. These are the boots that I purchased made of a full grain leather upper.

https://www.cavenders.com/western/cowboy-boots/mens-boots-shoes/western-square-toe-boots/AR0014053

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have made what I think is a mistake by using Montana Pitch Blend Dressing on them which darkened them. I hope they lighten back up within time. I would like for the contrast stitching and different tones of brown to remain visible and pronounced.

The store employee recommends Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner. He demonstrated applying it to a scuff mark and it disappeared. Would this be all that I need in your opinion?

I do own a couple of bottles of Allen Edmonds conditioner cleaner. Would that work just as well? It did remove a second scuff mark, but I noticed that something brown transferred to the cloth. I do not want it to remove polish or a pretreated wax coating that may be on there. I tried this before applying the Montana Pitch Blend.

Lastly, would this boot be considered distressed leather, pretreated leather, or burnished leather?

2. mreams99

mreams99 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Marysville
    I would use the Bick 4 — as recommended by the sales associate. And it will probably be a while before it’s needed if you just treated them with the other.

3. MovingForward

MovingForward New Member

United States
    Texas
    Laredo
    A little late, but thank you very much!

4. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Those boots are solidly constructed of pretty durable, full grain hide and were intended for wear around the barn/paddock and on the horses. They are an equestrian's work boots. Don't trouble yourself so greatly over the small details. Just wear the boots and apply the Bick 4 Leather conditioner, as was recommended and learn to look upon those inevitable signs of wear (scuffs and scrapes) that develop as patina! Enjoy your new boots and may you long wear them and only in good health! ;)

5. MovingForward

MovingForward New Member

United States
    Texas
    Laredo
    Thank you very much!