Wearing a non-button-down Brooks Brothers dress shirt without a tie?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by rhz, Jan 8, 2018.

1. rhz

rhz Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    California
    Oakland
    Hi,

It seems that many dress shirts that don't have a button-down collar look strange when worn without a tie--the stiff collars seem to "float" in an awkward manner with the points just levitating off your chest.

Have people found this to be the case with Brooks Brother's dress shirts (spread collar, forward point, cutaway, etc) as well? Do any BB non-button-down options look good w/o a tie? Do the collar points float above the shirt a lot?

I'll add that I'm searching for something that would look good with and without a sports coat.

Thank you!

rhz

2. Dcr5468

Dcr5468 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Louisiana
    Mandeville
    Try a spread collar. Point collars don’t do well at all without a tie. Also I find having closer spaced buttons helps the collar stay put with or without a jacket as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    If you are going out with no tie and an open collar, just put on a button down collar design and be done with it! It just, hands down, looks better. :cool:

4. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    8 button shirt where the next to top button is close to the top button helps. Smaller collar also can help.

5. fishertw

fishertw Super Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Boone
    Not a fan of non button down shirts without a tie.

williamson likes this.
  6. FLMike

FLMike Connoisseur

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    Truth

7. Kyle76

Kyle76 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    NC
    Fayetteville
    I am one of those who hates to see a collar point "floating" away from the shirt. As mentioned, spread collars (I have many from BB) tend to do better than pointed collars, particularly under some kind of jacket, but the button down is the way to assure your collar point stays put. I do see many men wearing dress shirts without ties these days. To me, the worst is a collar that hangs out over the lapel. As an aside, I notice that Prince Philip in "The Crown" often wears shirts with the collar floating up a bit, even with a tie. When did the collar stay become standard?

8. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Why force it? Wear a button down collar without a tie and a spread collar with a tie. Simple.

I know there are devices out there that will keep the collar down but I’m not keen on applying a complex system of trusses and scaffolding to get my clothes to behave in a married otherwise unintended.

eagle2250 likes this.
  9. CardsHockey

CardsHockey Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Michigan
    Ann Arbor
    While button-down collars are the best option for what to wear without a tie, I do have non-button-down collar BB dress shirts and I have found that after a washing or two the collars do less, or stop, floating.

Button-downs still remain the better option so make sure to diversify your dress shirts, but don't fret over wearing a non-button-down either.

10. Adelantado

Adelantado New Member

United States
    Texas
    El Paso
    I wear spread collars without a tie all the time with no issue, always making sure to include the collar stays. I highly dislike button-down collars...

DaveTrader likes this.