WASP (Not WASP)

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by L-feld, Dec 1, 2014.

1. L-feld

L-feld Well-Known Member

I suppose this happens every now and then when you "walk the dinosaur" of reactionary clothing. There have been some rumblings in parts of the tradosphere about things like geneology, bloodlines, authenticity, and other nonsense. Ralph Lauren was persona non grata for a while, but it looks like Muffy Aldrich may have taken his place.

Some days, I wonder if a goyische mob will come to strip me of my natural shoulders. As an antidote, I thought we should compile a list of notable Landsmen who have a contribution to "our thing."

In no particular order:

- The Press family
    - Lisa Birnbach
    - Charlie Davidson (I think?)
    - Paul Newman
    - Marty and Elliot Gant
    - Abe Ribicoff
    - Bob & Sue Prenner
    - Paul Winston
    - Does Murray Rothbard count?

And of course, I have to give a local plug to Eddie Jacobs, Ken Himmelstein, and the Cohen family.

So to my fellow Landsmen, I say, L'Chaim.
    [​IMG]

Feel free to add to the list, or post lists of other ethnicities deserving a tip of the hat.

2. Spin Evans

Spin Evans Well-Known Member

3. phyrpowr

phyrpowr Well-Known Member

That list would have to include thousands of men in smaller communities across the country who've sent young men out the door lookin' good since at least the late 1800s. My own addition would be Mr. Leon Sugar of Lumberton, NC. If WASPs had been allowed to dress themselves, who knows what "Ivy" would look like?

4. gamma68

gamma68 Well-Known Member

This might be a "chicken-and-egg" question, but did the WASPs just wear what the Jewish tailors provided them? Or did the Jewish tailors provide the garments the WASPs wanted?

5. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

?

Goyische? Landsman? L'Chaim? "Dress British think Yiddish" in a forum about American Ivy League style?

6. Duvel

Duvel Banned

I was raised Catholic in the Midwest, so I'm not sure what to make of any of it.

7. Bin'Zev

Bin'Zev Well-Known Member

I need that button. It was one of my grandfather's favorite sayings.

8. tocqueville

tocqueville Suspended

Given just how few actual WASPs one finds in the Ivy Leagues these days, it couldn't be more appropriate.

That said, during the 'golden years' of Ivy style, the 1950s and 1960s, there was still a "numerus clausus" in place limiting the numbers of Jews (and I think some other immigrant minority groups, including Italians). The number was still higher, proportionately speaking, than in the national population, but still. And at Yale the difference was often that the Jews and Italians were local; I bet that was the case at Harvard as well. There was also generally a profound class difference. As well as a difference in attitude. The average WASP Yalie got into Yale via a prep school and was not really expected to study hard. One was there for "character," hence the idea of the "gentleman's C." The immigrant students (Jews, Italians, etc.) had a different agenda. One motivation for the cap on Jews and Italians was that the immigrants ruined the atmosphere, with all their studying and so forth. All that changed of course in the early-to-mid 1970s, when the Ivies went co-ed and became meritocratic.

Anyway, I wonder to what except clothing was used by different sub-groups at the Ivies to signify 'tribal' identities…something not unlike what happens at a high school. One group wore what was in fashion…others did not. Might a sack suit and soft shoulders have been used to signify being part of an in-group? Were there sartorial queues?

9. tocqueville

tocqueville Suspended

Just about all the department stores in the country until recently...

10. SlideGuitarist

SlideGuitarist Well-Known Member

Robert Halperin was one of the founders of Land's End.

11. smmrfld

smmrfld Well-Known Member

Charlie Pivnick.

12. thegovteach

thegovteach Well-Known Member

The local men's stores, that were( past tense) in business, were Jewish owned.....great service, great salesmen( many were Gentiles,) I miss them terribly.....

13. ThePopinjay

ThePopinjay Well-Known Member

There were many jewish and italian tailors that were brought into companies like Brooks and other places to make clothing, such as the Greco brothers (later of Southwick). So I'd say it was more your WASPs needing someone to make their clothes.

Before I worked at the mens store this summer, my boss had worked at Goldstein's which was right next door from the 40's to the 60's. One day my boss (who was a stockboy/sorta salesman) got mad that they didn't sell enough ivy league tweeds when a sales rep came around, so he sold his car and opened up shop next door. Anways, I noticed a lot of our older customers would still refer to him as "a goldstein boy".
    There was also a lot of prejudice in the Ivy clothing business, I know for example, Bunce Brothers was supposedly pretty anti-semetic.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  14. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

I think a capsule history would be that Anglo-Saxon Brooks Brothers set the stage for what constituted Ivy style (i.e., what was wanted) by the WASP elite, in large part by Americanizing certain English fashions (e.g., the polo collar), and by introducing other styles and fabrics from abroad (e.g., weejuns, madras). Jewish-owned stores like J. Press followed BB's lead into the 'heyday', and then took the lead themselves as both fashion innovators (especially Chipp and Paul Stuart) and as preservationists (most notably Ralph Lauren). The mother ship is, of course, still sputtering along, but now flying an Italian flag.

15. WouldaShoulda

WouldaShoulda Suspended

Ginsburg and Cohen

[video=youtube;VV2N4KSh3x4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV2N4KSh3x4[/video]

This still cracks me up!!

16. fred johnson

fred johnson Well-Known Member

"Abe Ribicoff"?? (Yes I know who he is, but why?)

17. L-feld

L-feld Well-Known Member

18. Duvel

Duvel Banned