Trouser measurement leaves roomo for shirt?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by dks202, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dks202

dks202 Super Member

United States
    tx
    San Antonio
    I've never heard this one before?

I asked an eBay seller about pant measurements? He said pant waist is labeled 40 but it is now 34 and it actually measures 36.

Here's the response...

"The tag is marked 40 but they must have been taken in at some point. The actual measurement with the tape measure is 18” across while flat, 36” total. Trouser measurements always leave 1-2” for shirt tuck and not being too tight so if the trouser measures 36” the typical marked size would be size 34. Hope that helps."

2. dragan

dragan Starting Member

United States
    Kansas
    garden city
    My waist size is a 38 in jeans. I almost always have to get slacks in a 40 for a proper fit. The seller is telling you that the slacks were originally a 40 waist. They were altered to fit someone with a 34 inch waist, which would make this garment a 36 to ensure a proper fit. The whole 1"- 2" rule for tucking your shirt in is nonsense. Slacks just fit tighter than jeans. Hope this helps.

3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Yes, typically tailored clothing, trousers included, will be larger than the numerical size. But different manufacturers have different practices and it can vary widely. One maker's trousers may be one inch, another 2 1/4". And it's also not unusual to find items from the same maker in the same size that fit differently.

Of course, if the trousers have had to be taken in 4", you don't want them anyway. Or at least, I wouldn't. They're not going to look right, and if a tailor does take that much in, they'll often remove cloth as well.

4. jts287

jts287 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Rocky River
    Four inches off the waist? Do the pants look ok in the front? That's a lot to lose without causing the rest of the fabric to bunch up, I'd think...

5. dks202

dks202 Super Member

United States
    tx
    San Antonio
    I'm not interested in the pants, 4 inches is too much. Yes, they probably cut out some fabric. I just thought it odd the seller mentioned manufacturers added room for a shirt

6. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    I don't see how it's possible to take in trousers that much. Could the trousers be from a suit? Trousers from a size 40 suit are a size 34 but labelled "40" because they are part of the suit. With vanity sizing or with a low rise they could measure 36".

7. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Unless they recut the pants the pockets are going to be pulled around crazy! It seems like the Italians always label their trousers that way. I have a few American made suits - I need to look and see but I don't recall seeing it that way on US sized garments.

8. dks202

dks202 Super Member

United States
    tx
    San Antonio
    Ha, yes it was from a suit, Brooks Brothers 46/40. I'm not taking chances with that much alteration..

9. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    With regard to the OP question - I don't think you need 2 inches - more like 1/2.