-->

Trad dogs?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Intrepid, Mar 21, 2005.

1. TheWardrobeGirl

TheWardrobeGirl Senior Member

Lab girl here! I didn't get my dog for any purpose other than I fell in love with him the second I met him :) ...while I love all dogs, I am more a fan of the big dogs - I feel a certain sense of security having him around...I know he would never pro actively hurt a fly, but if I was in trouble, I don't doubt for a second that he would come to my rescue...I never thought about people getting dogs for an "image", I simply thought people picked dogs based on what would fit into their lifestyle best (I prefer an activity dog to a purse dog)...

My dog isn't such a great conversationalist either, but he is a pretty decent listener and a great snuggler :)

2. Observer57

Observer57 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Gimme a really ugly looking English bulldog with big ol' jowls over the designer dogs any day.

3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Good thing you don't have a Golden. If you were in trouble, he'd make friends with whomever you had trouble with. :icon_smile:

For serious attacker eating, try a Kuvasz or BRT.

4. TheWardrobeGirl

TheWardrobeGirl Senior Member

You would be surprised - I actually thought that about my dog for the longest time...he makes friends with everyone and anyone and a couple of years ago I thought someone was breaking into my house and instead of barking up a storm, he was huddled under the bed with me as I called 911 (turns out it was the wind that set off my security system)...fast forward to about a week or so ago, I was in a situation where a guy wouldn't leave me alone and my dog came to my rescue (he put himself between us, paced back and forth and wouldn't let the guy get near me...in 6 years, I have NEVER seen him act that way) - I think they sense when there is REAL trouble or potential real trouble and act accordingly - I have faith in my guy ;)

5. JayJay

JayJay Super Member

I have a Welsh Terrier. He's terrific!!!

6. TMMKC

TMMKC Honors Member

United States
    Missouri
    Kansas City
    +1 on that. Our Cairn is like a child to me. He drives me nuts some days, but I love him unconditionally.

7. wolfhound986

wolfhound986 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    CA
    San Francisco
  8. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Good boy! :icon_smile_big:

9. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Is wolfhound986 as in Irish Wolfhound?

Got to see the Wolfhound at a local show that won Best in Group at Westminster perhaps 6 or 7 years ago. What a huge, gorgeous, perfectly put together Wolfhound he was. Very tightly knit, which these giant dogs usually aren't. He was magnificent and knew it!

10. RyanPatrick

RyanPatrick Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I own two dogs, one is definitely more "trad" than the other, but I love them equally. I have a boxer that I adopted from Carolina Boxer Rescue when he was 9 months old and a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog purchased from a reputable breeder who is also a family friend. The Swissy is the one I think would be considered more "trad".
    The lab is definitely the most popular dog amongst the general public and I would say that holds true among the trad demographic as well.