Trad dogs?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Intrepid, Mar 21, 2005.

1. TheWardrobeGirl

TheWardrobeGirl Senior Member

Lab girl here! I didn't get my dog for any purpose other than I fell in love with him the second I met him :) ...while I love all dogs, I am more a fan of the big dogs - I feel a certain sense of security having him around...I know he would never pro actively hurt a fly, but if I was in trouble, I don't doubt for a second that he would come to my rescue...I never thought about people getting dogs for an "image", I simply thought people picked dogs based on what would fit into their lifestyle best (I prefer an activity dog to a purse dog)...

My dog isn't such a great conversationalist either, but he is a pretty decent listener and a great snuggler :)

2. Observer57

Observer57 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Gimme a really ugly looking English bulldog with big ol' jowls over the designer dogs any day.

3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Good thing you don't have a Golden. If you were in trouble, he'd make friends with whomever you had trouble with. :icon_smile:

For serious attacker eating, try a Kuvasz or BRT.

4. TheWardrobeGirl

TheWardrobeGirl Senior Member

You would be surprised - I actually thought that about my dog for the longest time...he makes friends with everyone and anyone and a couple of years ago I thought someone was breaking into my house and instead of barking up a storm, he was huddled under the bed with me as I called 911 (turns out it was the wind that set off my security system)...fast forward to about a week or so ago, I was in a situation where a guy wouldn't leave me alone and my dog came to my rescue (he put himself between us, paced back and forth and wouldn't let the guy get near me...in 6 years, I have NEVER seen him act that way) - I think they sense when there is REAL trouble or potential real trouble and act accordingly - I have faith in my guy ;)

5. JayJay

JayJay Super Member

I have a Welsh Terrier. He's terrific!!!

6. TMMKC

TMMKC Honors Member

United States
    Missouri
    Kansas City
    +1 on that. Our Cairn is like a child to me. He drives me nuts some days, but I love him unconditionally.

7. wolfhound986

wolfhound986 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    CA
    San Francisco
  8. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Good boy! :icon_smile_big:

9. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Is wolfhound986 as in Irish Wolfhound?

Got to see the Wolfhound at a local show that won Best in Group at Westminster perhaps 6 or 7 years ago. What a huge, gorgeous, perfectly put together Wolfhound he was. Very tightly knit, which these giant dogs usually aren't. He was magnificent and knew it!

10. RyanPatrick

RyanPatrick Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I own two dogs, one is definitely more "trad" than the other, but I love them equally. I have a boxer that I adopted from Carolina Boxer Rescue when he was 9 months old and a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog purchased from a reputable breeder who is also a family friend. The Swissy is the one I think would be considered more "trad".
    The lab is definitely the most popular dog amongst the general public and I would say that holds true among the trad demographic as well.

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Honors Member

The original post in this thread is more than three years old. Seeing it bumped in the fashion forum made me misty for the old days.

12. jrandyv

jrandyv Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Washington
    Vancouver
    I think any dog you love is the right one. For me personally it's my 3 yr old german shorthair pointer who is faithful, will run all day long, sleeps as well, is curious and always wants to know what you're up to.

13. Beresford

Beresford Super Member

United States
    Hawaii
    Honolulu
    WASP 101 does not have a trad dog. :icon_smile_big:

[​IMG]

14. ajo

ajo Super Member

Australia
    ACT
    Canberra
    Not at all, but dog breeds go through fashion cycles and are given as cute puppies who then grow up into lumbering hulks and are either abandoned or its off to the pound for 'Dead Dog Walking.' Sorry if you want a dog all well and good but be prepared to give them the time they require.

15. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    +1...and well said!

16. paul winston

paul winston Super Member

United States
    new york
    new york
    It takes many generations of selective breeding to "create" a breed. The labradoodle isn't there yet. Just as children of the same mother and father will not be genetically gifted with the same intelligence, your beloved dog may not be as intelligent as it's litter mates. This obviously did not make her less lovable.

17. Bog

Bog Super Member

American Samoa
    Region
    Mandatory
    A Treatise on Good Manners and Good Breeding

Jonathan Swift

GOOD manners is the art of making those people easy with whom we converse.

Whoever makes the fewest persons uneasy is the best bred in the company.

As the best law is founded upon reason, so are the best manners. And as some lawyers have introduced unreasonable things into common law, so likewise many teachers have introduced absurd things into common good manners.

One principal point of this art is to suit our behaviour to the three several degrees of men; our superiors, our equals, and those below us.

For instance, to press either of the two former to eat or drink is a breach of manners; but a farmer or a tradesman must be thus treated, or else it will be difficult to persuade them that they are welcome.

http://www.bartleby.com/27/9.html

18. wolfhound986

wolfhound986 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    CA
    San Francisco
    ^^
    Flanderian, belatedly answering, yes, as in Irish Wolfhound, my tribute to a fine, intelligent, loyal breed.

As seen annually at St. Patrick's Day parade in SF:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2006/03/13/BAG73HMU951.DTL&o=4

To make this clothing-related, in this picture, an Irish Wolfhound with a human dressed in Yves St. Laurent, September 2008 Men's Vogue:
    http://www.mensvogue.com/arts/movies/articles/2008/09/guillaume-canet

19. Country Irish

Country Irish Super Member

Only the ancient breeds if you please. My favorite is know in the USA as the Anatolian Shepherd Dog:

[​IMG]

20. RedBluff

RedBluff Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    FarNorCal
    Red Bluff
    My Catahoula is on his last legs and I was curious what everyone else on here had. I will get my kids another Cataloula. I hope it becomes a family tradition for generations to come.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Cur