Trad dogs?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Intrepid, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid Super Member

There can't be a better indication of shallowness, than someone who picks a dog, because of the dog's immage. However, after countless Princeton reunions, the dogs that I have observed in the Prade, are hundreds of goldens, labs of both colors, and an occassional neufie. Coincidence? Could be.
    I'll keep looking. This year there may be a number of dobermans and rotweilers with orange neck wear.

2. Bog

Bog Well-Known Member

Well, well. Nothing wrong with it. You can't exactly go and interview the dog, can you? So you have to look at it? Or does your dog talk?

[​IMG]

Southern Proper. On the internet, nobody can tell if you are a dog, but they can tell if you are trad.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  3. Simon Myerson

Simon Myerson Inactive user

Surely the best trad dog is an unwanted Mongrel (or a Heinz, to give it its proper name) rescued from an unwanted dog centre and thus displaying its owner's disregard of fashion and kind and generous nature?

Strangely, I have just such a dog :)

4. ajo

ajo Well-Known Member

I agree completely people who buy dogs for their fashion or social status are mentally defective IMHO. Our dog is a Labrador Stafodshire cross with a bit of Queensland Blue thrown in for good measure.

Elmo, my son picked the name, had a bad start to life he was thrown over a mates fence but their dog who had just had a litter adopted and weaned him then we took him and he always has been great company. He used to be a very proficient body surfer till arthritis caused his retirement.

5. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

Trad or not Newfoundlands are great if you have the space and the climate. Our last dog was a Leonberger, a dog of a similar size and temperament to a Newfoundland and we would have another given the right conditions.

6. tinytim

tinytim Well-Known Member

So, what your saying is that 90% of all people are mentally defective!

7. David V

David V Well-Known Member

If they buy a dog for it's social or fashion "points".

8. dbgrate

dbgrate Well-Known Member

Don't the LL Bean ads provide an answer? Looks like the yellow lab,by a nose!

9. nolan50410

nolan50410 Well-Known Member

English Bulldog. Mine is our child.

10. Aaron in Allentown

Aaron in Allentown Well-Known Member

I'm not into dogs at all. I used to think I was a "dog person" because I hate cats, but I eventually came to realize that I dislike dogs just as much.

I have never understood the obsession with "pure" breeds of dogs. Eugenics stinks in any form.

11. paul winston

paul winston Well-Known Member

Our Chipp2 company makes a range of products( ties, suspenders, wristwatches- all for people, not dogs) that feature pure breed dogs. For years the most popular breeds,as gaged by the products we sell, have been goldens , labs (black, yellow, chocolate),pugs, schnauzers, and bulldogs. Designer dogs- labradoodles (Lab/Poodle), puggles(Beagle/Pug) , cocapoos ( Cocker/Poodle) have become "in". They were created in an attempt to blend the advantages of the two breeds. For example in the case of the labradoodle they wanted the sturdiness and disposition of the lab with the intelligence and non-shedding coat of the poodle. I really believe the majority of dogs are selected by people because they like something about the dog, not for the image. When my kids were young I wanted a dog with a great disposition that was big- not big because this cast an image, big so my children couldn't break it.

12. Flanderian

Flanderian Well-Known Member

I think it's more likely statistics than coincidence. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure that Labs are #1, and Goldens either #2 or #3. Having some familiarity with Labs, and been dad to a wonderful Golden, I can assure everyone that there are good reasons for both breeds' popularity. Goldens are beautiful dogs with an exceptional tempermant that makes them almost idiot-proof with kids. They are generally inteligent, and some very much so. And depending on the dog, they can be great athletes or field dogs. They do shed a lot, and unfortunately, genetic based illnesses are the norm. Mine was one of the best conversationalists I've ever encountered.

13. dbgrate

dbgrate Well-Known Member

My lab is not much of a conversationalist,but she's a wonderful listener..and ,I can tell,usually will second any of my suggestions and agree with most of what I say.

14. swb120

swb120 Well-Known Member

Terriers are true trad...Wire Fox terriers (remember Asta in the "Thin Man" series?), Welsh, Irish, or Airedales. Highly intelligent, fiercely loyal, great with kids and non-shedding, Wire Fox terriers have won more Best in Show titles at Westminster than any other breed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  15. tinytim

And most do.

16. The Louche

The Louche Well-Known Member

I have a labradoodle. She has a great disposition and she doesn't shed, but I'm going to have to say she is pretty dumb. But I love her dearly. We didn't pick her out b/c she is a "designer" breed either. We picked her b/c she was the only one of her litter that didn't know enough to pay attention to where she went to the bathroom. Shes one helluva dog.

17. tinytim

My wife and I have owned 3 boxers over the last 17 years. We really love the bull breeds. But they're not for everyone.

18. Jovan

Jovan Honors Member

Oh, I agree...

[​IMG]

19. Flanderian

Flanderian Well-Known Member

Smart Lab + smart Poodle = dumb Labradoodle? Huh? Are you certain she's not just too smart to let you know it? "We picked her b/c she was the only one of her litter that didn't know enough to pay attention to where she went to the bathroom." Huh? And your dog's dumb? When I do that my wife hits me with a rolled up newspaper! :icon_smile:

20. hbecklin

hbecklin Well-Known Member

We have a Soft-Coated-Wheaten Terrier, and love him. He is very trad- he even has the fairly rare (more wiry) "Irish coat". My dog is also loyal, good with people, and has never shed on anything. I can spend time with him for 20-30 mins. in my good blazer, and not have a hair upon me.