The Shoe Snob puts the boot into cedar shoe trees

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by StephenRG, Jul 2, 2018.

1. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    I suppose throughout the rest of Christendom shoe trees are just given away.

EG charges $150 for a pair of lasted shoe trees. The cedar shoe trees sold throughout here are a relative bargain.

Cedar may not be as popular throughout the rest of the world perhaps because it is not as abundant.

Also, we are a nation of some 350 million ravenous consumers so to use the American market as some example with which to contrast the European market makes little sense.

2. MNJ83

MNJ83 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    He sells really attractive shoe trees for 115 Sterling in his website~~150 dollars. I can get a very similar Washburn or St. Paul tree from onecedarlane/ Rochester for around 30 dollars. Probably less on sale

3. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    Cedar shoe trees chip? That's news to me.

4. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Rarely. In full disclosure, have one on which I cracked the neck, and another with a slight chip after 40 years of tossing them around.

But there's no reason to believe a hardwood wouldn't have sustained the same or worse from such mistreatment.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  5. JLibourel

JLibourel Honors Member and King Fop

United States
    California
    Long Beach
    Is the cedar shoe tree a post-WWII "novelty" (if something over 70 years old can be considered a "novelty")? As I recall, my grandfather had varnished hardwood trees in all his shoes.

I do think the "moisture absorbance" of cedar shoe trees is something of a myth. The notion that your feet sweat a half-cup of water a day (or whatever it's supposed to be) has always struck me as preposterous, as does the story that the cedar trees wick up this moisture.

I have heard some knowledgeable people argue that well made plastic trees would work as well as wood. However, every plastic tree I've seen has been cheap, flimsy and nasty.

With those observations out of the way, I have no problem with cedar shoe trees (and I've got close to 50 pairs). They haven't cracked, nor have there been any other problems with them.

6. TheDlABlO

TheDlABlO Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I have actually put non finished cedar shoe trees into my athletic sneakers for the purpose of deoderization.

7. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^How well is using the raw cedar shoe trees working for you? Have you tried using those deodorant balls the athletic shoe stores (Adidas, Nike, etc) sell?

8. never behind

never behind Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I have started doing this as well and it has really made a difference IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    After years of babbling about the original Shoekeeper brand shoe trees, the glory of Peterborough, NH, I've finally located a photo.

[​IMG]

The were both a simple and deceptively complex product of Yankee ingenuity. They were ubiquitous, came in size small, medium or large and when you bought shoes, if you added $25 you took home a pair with ample room for profit to all concerned.

The simple ingenuity was the spring loaded connecting shaft made with enough play so that the forepart could be moved over perhaps 30 degrees independent of the rear. This allows it to adjust to virtually any last.

The complexity is in the complex curves of the forefoot that irrespective of last shape seem to perfectly fill the volume of the shoe.

And they've been doing just that superbly in shoes I've worn for over 30 years, minimizing creasing and helping them maintain their shape. I have other, newer trees, some much more elaborate, and while they're adequate, I haven't found any quite as good as Shoekeeper, and wish the original could be returned to production, though I suspect that the complex automatic lathes on which I believe they were made are now long gone.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  10. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    I recently had to do a full inventory to satisfy the IRS. I had, at the time of that count, 89 pairs of cedar shoe trees. I go through 50-60 pairs each year. That being said, I have to echo the stance of @RogerP . I have yet to have one of mine chip.