The Shoe Snob puts the boot into cedar shoe trees

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by StephenRG, Jul 2, 2018.

1. StephenRG

StephenRG Honors Member

United States
    New York
    Merrick
  2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    I think probably that cedar is more readily available and cheaper to harvest here than elsewhere.

I know EG uses lime wood and it works just fine. The important thing is that one is using something.

I prefer wood from endangered, old growth forests. I recommend anything from the Amazon.

drlivingston likes this.
  3. MNJ83

MNJ83 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    1-I have not had a cedar shoe tree chip yet.

2-I buy “vintage” USA shoe trees made by Rochester for Florsheim, Nettleton, French Shriner and Urner ETC to go in my “NOS” shoes. I don’t think those are cedar. They seem to be different types of woods and have a “finish”

3- I was under the impression that the benefit of using unfinished cedar is moisture absorption.

damon54 likes this.
  4. derum

derum Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    What about those from the e-bay?

SG_67 likes this.
  5. jts287

jts287 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Rocky River
    Cedar has a stong, pleasant scent, which is more pleasing to my nose than regular old foot stink. It also repels moths, which is a good bonus.

6. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I've long known that cedar trees aren't magic, but when new, they do have a pleasant fragrance that they impart to the shoes' linings to some degree. The fact that they also are not harmed by moisture and even seem to have a resistance to growing mold, or any such thing, suggests they also may have other beneficial properties. Those aside, any unfinished wood tree should serve as well.

But while many experts insist that wood that has been sealed with varnish or anything else which is impervious to moisture is just as good, I disagree. Moisture that will be in the lining can precipitate on their surface and promote mildew, etc. (As in, I've had it happen! :eek:)

Edit: And I must add regarding Justin's accurate observation that cedar is a softwood, rather than hardwood, while true, I've never encountered a problem because of it, and am grateful to still have the use of my precious Shoekeeper brand cedar trees that I purchased new about 40 years ago and which still do their job beautifully in my footwear.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    damon54 likes this.
  7. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Based on a lifetime of experience, it seems to me "The Shoe Snob" is full of malarkey with his assessment of the desirability of cedar shoe trees, as compared with trees of alternative construction materials. Cedar trees have served me well and will continue to so for the remainder of my days....I suspect! ;)

mrkleen likes this.
  8. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Super Member

United States
    NC
    Waxhaw
    Well I own many, many pairs of cedar shoe trees and haven’t had any of them chip as he alleges.

I think a better post would be aimed at the fallacy of charging $160 for a pair of shoe trees like EG and G&G do. They don’t do anything the $18 pair of Woodlore trees on their way to me don’t do. Or perhaps a post on why he thinks his 37.50GBP trees function better than “cheap” cedar. News flash...they don’t.

MNJ83 likes this.
  9. MNJ83

MNJ83 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    I agree with this. As I posted earlier most of his assertions are not even true. The entire generational argument is false, since all the vintage American shoe trees I own are not even cedar, as far as I know.

10. UteLawyer

UteLawyer Starting Member

United States
    UT
    Salt Lake City
    As an owner of many pairs of cedar shoe trees, no I cannot attest to that. I have had no problems with my shoe trees chipping. (This little malapropism did make me snicker, because I did and do contest his thesis.)

His logic really seemed flawed to me.
    1. North American shoe salesmen often work on commission, so
    2. They try to increase purchase price, so
    3. They recommend the least expensive shoe tree.

If his premise was accurate, wouldn't salesmen be pushing for more expensive woods?

SG_67 likes this.