The Latest from WASP 101

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by Beresford, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Beresford

Beresford Well-Known Member

I know there's been a thread or two posted about this guy and his blogsite, but I found his most recent column perfectly appalling. Definitely not a gentleman, even if he may think himself a WASP. One would like to hope he made it up.

http://www.wasp101.blogspot.com/

2. A Questionable Gentleman

A Questionable Gentleman Well-Known Member

That tale would bring a single, manly tear of admiration to Harry Flashman's eye.

3. Quay

Quay Well-Known Member

Tsk. If it's a true account then the writer is a complete cad. He's also lost his claim to gentlemanly status as one would not publicly brag about such appalling behavior.

Cordially,
    Adrian Quay

4. Duck

Duck Well-Known Member

What a jerk. All of it screams for attention. He posted earlier about making a lot of money because of new clients, shameful.

I apologize for my foul language earlier.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  5. Flanderian

Flanderian Well-Known Member

Oh, gosh! But Richard is very young and still evolving. And sometimes I wonder if he may just be trying to have a bit of fun with everyone.

Added after reflection: Yes, this is pretty bad, if he's not just trying to put everyone on. What I hear in that story is the echo of an ethos that permeates popular culture and is even resident in all too many business school graduates I encounter. I.e., "Others do not matter, and I can do anything to get what I want."

Added after further reflection: The above ethos described is essentially the definition of a sociopath.

6. A Questionable Gentleman

Valmont would approve.

7. Cowtown

Cowtown Well-Known Member

I like some of the pictures he posts. I take his stories with several large grains of salt.

8. I_Should_Be_Working

I_Should_Be_Working Well-Known Member

I don't really know about the type of folks most here have met, but this tale is very much in character with the sort of guy who would create a blog labeled WASP 101.

Whether he is real or imagined, it does not matter. The people who follow rules are those wanting to join the club. Once in, they act like heathens and use others who follow rules to fix their mistakes.

9. Duck

Duck Well-Known Member

It looks like a RL ad.

10. A Questionable Gentleman

It's like a scene from Justine.

11. Flanderian

While it isn't, that's what he often posts, and what seems to serve as his touchstone. Fifteen years ago, that would have been less of a mistake.

Upon just returning from his blog, I was finally confronted with the obvious: here we all are discussing the blog and author, undoubtedly generating traffic. If you want to sell something in print, the easiest and surest way to do it isn't to say, "Square peg in square hole." It's to publish something akin to an old National Enquirer article, I.e., "Mother gives birth to Martian baby, etc., etc., etc."

12. marmer

marmer Well-Known Member

True enough, Flanderian. I read Richard's blog daily, and enjoy his pictures. I read the entry in question and commented on the blog site before it showed up in this forum.

Discussing it here smacks of criticizing someone behind their back.

13. A Questionable Gentleman

Who's been criticizing?

14. hbecklin

hbecklin Well-Known Member

For all we know, it probably IS an RL ad. After all, isn't that RL's plan for the world? WASP 101- coming soon to macy*s.

And yes, it is very appalling. I don't know what this guy is trying to do, but it proves that the internet, while it has given every man, woman (and, possibly, child) their own soapbox, is a haven for those with insecurities about their insecurities (we all have our insecurities). I will heed others' advice that we should take this with a grain of salt. I'm sure it is fulfilling for him to be lambasted, if only for the sake of attention.

As a young person, seeing youth used as an excuse for this man's gaudy display of "elegance, refinement, and control"- the epitome of the Ivy league aesthetic- appalls me.

15. Sartre

Sartre Well-Known Member

^ Hell, I'm impressed anyone made it to the end of his story. I lost interest after the first sentence...

16. Flanderian

Oh, I regularly criticize him directly too, if I wish to, or feel it may serve a useful purpose. Since Richard is one of the few bloggers who doesn’t screen the remarks that readers post, I assume he wishes to invite negative remarks. I would be very surprised if there wasn’t a direct correlation between controversy and traffic.

17. manuduenas

manuduenas Well-Known Member

Okay, I have a stupid question:

What does WASP stand for??!?!

manuduenas

18. Duck

Duck Well-Known Member

Being from Germany, I understand. White Anglo Saxon Protestant.

19. manuduenas

manuduenas Well-Known Member

Seriously?? There's a common abbreviation for people like that?

That's like the exact opposite of me.... ;-)

Thank you,

manuduenas

20. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Seems like a waste of time. I'm sure he enjoys it.

He sounds like a Tucker Max wannabe.