The end of WASP 101?

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by Hayek, May 30, 2013.

1. Hayek

Hayek Well-Known Member

2. Dieu et les Dames

Dieu et les Dames Well-Known Member

scandalous, really.

3. hardline_42

hardline_42 Well-Known Member

Haha, I just read that a few minutes ago. Not sure how I feel about it if it's true. There's much to be ashamed of on both sides.

4. Hayek

Hayek Well-Known Member

I'm not at all surprised that someone did the research and figured it out. He really came off as very off putting, and all it takes is one individual out of the entire internet to devote a relatively modest amount of time to putting the pieces together. Whether Christian was right to make a post about it is a different story I suppose. But I've always found Ivy Style to be an exceptional resource and Wasp 101 good for little other than awed bemusement, so I'm sympathetic to Christian.

5. hardline_42

hardline_42 Well-Known Member

While I read Ivy Style occasionally and like Christian's blogging style, I was never a reader of Wasp 101 and only knew of his reputation from others, so I can't really find fault with Ivy Style on this one. He just posted what one of his readers brought to his attention. I suppose that a politician being outed as a blogger with some rather unsavory characteristics is probably a good thing for his constituents

6. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Well-Known Member

This is really weird, but also really entertaining. No one wants to be a "Richard". And now we can put a face to it.

7. Flanderian

Flanderian Well-Known Member

But what does Muffy have to say about it?

8. frosejr

frosejr Well-Known Member

+1!

FR

9. Trad-ish

Trad-ish Well-Known Member

I agree.

10. Bjorn

Bjorn Moderator

Ha! This was fun. Good ole Richard.

He looks to have been so far down the meat, potatoes and hard liqueur trail as to look positively Russian.

I'm amazed he actually had a real wife. I thought she was rental fo sho, given his lousy attitude towards women.

11. Bjorn

Bjorn Moderator

And there's a job for that investigator as a G man....

12. Shaver

Shaver Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  13. Dieu et les Dames

Dieu et les Dames Well-Known Member

14. Trip English

Trip English Well-Known Member

15. Tom Buchanan

Tom Buchanan Well-Known Member

As excited as Ivy Style seems to be about "busting" Wasp101, I wonder if Richard really cared if he was found out.

Richard left clues all over, which makes me wonder if he cared who figured it out (or maybe he was truly nuts). As far back as 2008, Richard seemed to be dropping clues like this http://suzanne-marques.blogspot.com/2008/02/perfectly-prep.html that could allow anyone to search who he might be based upon the address shown. I thought he was strangely amusing, in a very annoying way.

I have no idea what motivates people to create strange internet characters, or the people who get obsessed with exposing them. It is crazy that an elected official would have a site with his pictures all over it. In a strange way, I think I will miss the weird posts of Wasp101. Would love to know why he kept up the charade for years though.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  16. sjk

sjk Well-Known Member

When he first started getting noticed, some were asking if he was really serious or actually doing some sort of Andy Kaufman-like cyber-performance art.

​I also recall someone who wrote in asking if he created the blog as a tool to inoculate himself from the effects of public criticism, prior to going into politics. Amazingly prescient, I'd say.

17. Hayek

Hayek Well-Known Member

The longer it went on for the more I suspected that the whole thing was real. But it's still so odd to me that Richard spent so much time playing in the Trad ballpark, but never really getting it. He would have some tradly duds and then ruin it with a terrible fit or some strange pocket square.

He was like a baseball player that fouls out at each and every at bat. You'd think that, over time, through sheer probability, Richard would have posted at least one pic or made at least one post that--even if it wasn't a home run--would at least get him to first. But no, never. He fouled it with each post. Each. And. Every. One.

18. phyrpowr

phyrpowr Well-Known Member

I only occasionally looked at his blog, but I got the same impression: he really didn't have much of a grounding in men's clothing in general, but had a stack of older Ralph Lauren catalogs.

BTW, I saw a sidebar on someone's site (too lazy to read it) that said the NC Rep went on WRAL in Raleigh and denied it was him.

19. Flanderian

Flanderian Well-Known Member

Thank you for bringing Chensvold's well-done article to our attention!

That Richard and Holloway are one and the same is beyond doubt to anyone except those still firmly convinced of the corporal nature of both the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny.

The only sadness is that we will now always be deprived of the rich ambiance of fox hunts (chicken farms) and chunky gal pals (legislative receptionists) as Richard explains to us how real WASP's conduct their lives.

- Such as the time he disrobed to prove to us all that he wasn't fat.

- His drooling over images of teenage females.

- Or the description of his treatment of his house guest, "Before I knew it, I punched him in the nose, kicked him in the crown jewels, and drug him by his hair onto the porch."

- That he was a man among men, over whom any woman that came into contact with him lusted.

No, Richard was most definitely not just another fashion blogger.

20. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Well-Known Member

To be honest, I find Richard the character a lot less annoying now that the guy behind the curtain is revealed, one more doofus blowing off steam on the internet.