Sweaters/cardigans for short armed men

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Leatherneck, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Starting Member

Cleveland area
    United States
    Ohio
    Broadview Heights
    Hello,

I am an average height at 5'9", but have shorter arms. My chest measures 47 1/2 inches but I would need a 31" sleeve length for a proper fit. I have yet to find a sweater that has fit my shorter arm length as most XL's have a 35-36 sleeve length. I would really enjoy wearing a shawl collar cardigan but have yet to find one online or in a store that would fit my sleeve length. I could be wrong but I do not think these are garments that can be altered by a tailor. Hopefully someone can point me to an online store for men with T-Rex arms! Any input regarding this matter is much appreciated.

2. 3piece

3piece Senior Member

United States
    CA
    Irvine
    If anything else fails, someone out there on the Internet knits sweaters by hand for a fee.

3. delicious_scent

delicious_scent Senior Member

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
    That one is tough.

Perhaps soaking the ends of the sleeves and tossing them into the dryer to shrink? Checking every 5-10 minutes to see if they've shrunk to your liking.

Otherwise I can't think of anyone who sells shorter sleeve sweaters.

4. Leatherneck

Cleveland area
    United States
    Ohio
    Broadview Heights
    Would folding the sleeve back once over be a no no? I have zero sweaters in my wardrobe which is sad to me, so I am relegated to wearing sweater vests.

5. delicious_scent

delicious_scent Senior Member

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
    I don't see why not. I'd definitely do that as opposed to not being able to wear sweaters.

Not a bad look at all

6. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    I always have to fold back the cuffs of my sweaters the width of the sleeve cap. I think they look better that way anyway.

eagle2250 likes this.
  7. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    As a fellow T-Rex, what's worked for me is to fold the the cuffs back. It effectively shortens the sleeve by a couple of inches, and that's usually good enough. Plus I don't mind a bit of blousing at the cuff, actually prefer it if it's not extreme.

8. Leatherneck

Cleveland area
    United States
    Ohio
    Broadview Heights
    Thank you for all of the input. I think I will take a stab at one and just fold the sleeve cuffs back. I saw a great looking shawl collar from Blarney Woollen Mills.

9. Charles Dana

Charles Dana Advanced Member

United States
    California
    San Francisco
    I'm disappointed--Based on a literal reading of the thread title, I thought I'd be reading about sweaters for short men who are packing heat.

Where have you gone, JLibourel? A fashion forum turns its lonely eyes to you.

10. Buffalo

Buffalo Super Member

United States
    new jersey
    teaneck