-->

Suits With Double Breasted Vest?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by LoneWolf, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Hebrew Barrister

Hebrew Barrister Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    texas
    yourmomtown
    This is my guess as well. Giamatti would look terrible in the old school DB vests shown in this thread. He'd look like a pregnant woman.

I would say that if he has to be in a DB waistcoat, the cut of the one shown is probably about as flattering as it will get.

2. bespokewrinkles

bespokewrinkles Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    CA
    Los Angeles
    Totally! Just to add, if the trousers are of a type without the waistband, the vest can be made shorter, because not as much overlap would be necessary to over the waistband.

[​IMG]

upr_crust likes this.
  3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Not that I'm am sufficiently punctilious regarding my personal dress, but isn't the ideal standard that the bottom of the vest should just meet the top of the waistband? :icon_scratch:

Edit: BTW, still love those check trousers! :icon_hailthee:

4. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
    Below the waistband and above the pockets.

5. bespokewrinkles

bespokewrinkles Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    CA
    Los Angeles
    Thanks! The waist needs to be at least at inch past the waistband I'm afraid. Otherwise the waistband might show itself in certain postures. Mr. Alex Hill's self-made outfit for example, great as is, suffers from the waistband peeking issue.

[​IMG]

6. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Mr. B. Scott Robinson Senior Member

Karachi, Pakistan - Bangkok, Thailand
    United States
    Pakistan/Thailand
    Karachi/Bangkok
    Yes, high waist trousers, no belt with the waistcoat covering the waistband of the trousers is correct.

The difficulty is that I have a small paunch requiring that wear suspenders with high waist trousers. When wearing a waistcoat, when I must utilize "the necessary", I must half undress. A real pain.

Cheers,

BSR

7. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Thank you gentlemen! While i no longer have any suits with waistcoats/vests, that's typically where they fall on me. When I had a tailor, I only had him making SB vests and the front at the buttons would sit as you described, though of course, that portion is actually longer as the vest's waist curves upward from that point.

MY question was prompted more be a vague recollection of reading an ancient and erudite guide to fit that I recalled using the term "kissing" for where the vest meets the waistband. Obviously, I remembered wrong. o_O

Worry not about that small paunch! Given sufficient maturity, and proper attention to the niceties of life, it should be possible to achieve a fully developed one! :D

8. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^In response to the conclusion reflected in the words of your final paragraph above, 'boy, you can say that again' and in all caps! LOL. ;)

9. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    The high-rise trousers and shorter waistcoat would actually be much more flattering because they would give his body a smoother line. The problem with a long waistcoat on a larger man is that is hangs off the belly.

10. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    +1.