-->

Suit wear for evening Holiday occasions, [not (semi) formal wear]

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by stfu, Nov 7, 2008.

1. stfu

stfu Senior Member

United States
    AZ
    Southern
    As the season draws near, I will be attending a few evening parties that do not even begin to approach semi formal. However, as is her prerogative, my much better half has declared her intentions to break out some cocktail dresses for the occasions. In order to approximate her level of formality, I am anticipating wearing some suits rather than the more casual sport jacket/sweater option that might typically be appropriate.

This situation therefore arrises: Since I have a fairly limited collection of suits, I will likely be wearing some that are more suited to business, such as your typical navy pinstripe. Would this be so obvious as to look out of place at an evening event?

I do understand this point is quite moot as it relates to my specific situation. Many in attendance will be very casual, and the general dress of this region is extremely casual to begin with. It is quite likely they will simply wonder why I am so dressed up in general. Even still, I am somewhat curious about how widespread the rules on "no business suits for evening wear" really are, and whether it is the obvious breach to proper dressing that some imply it is.

As an aside, I guess one option would be to pick up an inexpensive Dinner Jacket in Blackwatch or a Stewart tie and cummerbund, and go with a 'costume' angle, but I am not sure how appreciated that would be.

2. Will

Will Honors Member

United States
    Ca
    San francisco
    You don't need to wear a different suit every night. If you were wearing a dinner jacket you'd look the same each time. Pull out your best navy solid, a white shirt and black shoes and wear it to death. Rotate a couple of neckties and no-one will care if they see the same suit a couple of evenings.

3. Miket61

Miket61 Advanced Member

A selection of festive holiday ties will not only vary the look, but some restrained silliness can comfort those who are underdressed.

When I worked for a company that didn't do casual Friday, but had to go to Friday meetings with a subsidiary that was in the same building and did, I'd wear Snoopy ties. :)

4. Cruiser

Cruiser Connoisseur

United States
    TN
    Spring Hill
    More and more men are wearing pinstripe suits in casual situations these days. I'm not referring to chalk stripes which probably look better in the boardroom, but pinstripes. The trick is to pick other items to wear with it that don't look like they belong in a business meeting. The suit itself is fine.

For example, here is a pic of Indy Car Champion Dario Franchitti in a blue pinstripe suit with his wife, the always lovely Ashley Judd.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Cruiser

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  5. KenR

KenR Advanced Member

United States
    New York
    Floral Park
    You might also want to consider a sport jacket or blazer, dress slacks and a tie. If all others are much more casual you would not be so "over the top" so to speak, but still compliment the Mrs.

Besides, I cannot count the times I have seen a lovely young women in a cocktail dress and their husband/date in full amjack mode (untucked stiped shirt and jeans). :crazy:

6. Cruiser

Cruiser Connoisseur

United States
    TN
    Spring Hill
    You would, of course, be referring to guys like George Clooney

[​IMG][​IMG]

or perhaps Harrison Ford

[​IMG][​IMG]

I say that if one guy who clearly isn't Cary Grant or Fred Astaire wants to copy the style of Grant or Astaire in his own attire, there's nothing wrong with the next guy, who isn't George Clooney or Harrison Ford, copying the style of Clooney or Ford. Whatever floats your boat.

Don't anybody get mad. Just having some fun on Saturday morning. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

7. stfu

stfu Senior Member

United States
    AZ
    Southern
    ^ Guys, don't do this to me! This is exactly what I am trying to avoid and you keep pointing them out in my thread!
    In seriousness, I think I'll stick with my sold navy and mid grey suit. For what it is worth, I won't go sans tie.

on Edit: (Unless of course your are placing me in the same 'suave-ness' category as Clooney and Ford)

8. KenR

KenR Advanced Member

United States
    New York
    Floral Park
    I was referring to real life guys, like you and me, that I have personally seen in restaurants.

9. Orsini

Orsini Honors Member

United States
    California
    Lawndale
    I do not recommend pinstripes for social as they are so closely associated with business. A black or midnight blue SBPL side-vent lounge would be very nice for evening social.

10. Mr. Knightly

Mr. Knightly Super Member

Sounds like a great time for a tweed suit!