Subtle Prince of Wales pattern: Ok for your basic charcoal suit?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by HanEyeAm, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Orsini

Orsini Honors Member

United States
    California
    Lawndale
    Don't think I'd wear it to a funeral or an interview, though.

2. Audi S5 TC

Audi S5 TC Advanced Member

United States
    New York
    Coram
    Agreed.

3. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    Whether it's appropriate for interviews and funerals depends on the check. The Fox Flannels check that culverwood posted is not an interview and funeral suit. That's a darker variation of the sporty Glen Urquhart check. The check that the OP posted is a more subtle tone-on-tone glen hopsack check, which is a dressier cloth and more like a semi-solid except for the blue overcheck. If the blue overcheck were thinner, or if the suit didn't even have an overcheck (which is rare for a glen hopsack cloth), then I'd say it's appropriate for interviews and funerals.

HanEyeAm likes this.
  4. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    This ⇧ is all smart (and more than I know), but I'd also add, based on today's rules/standards/norms (not the rules/standards/norms of ten or twenty years ago or, of course, farther back) and baring a particular company's unique demands (a few in finance I can think of and, then, only maybe), the dark grey suits noted above with tone-on-tone POW pattern (or the patterns Matt names that I couldn't pick out of a line up) would be fine for interviews. As to funerals, based on the ones I've been to in NYC and formal affairs of state I've seen on TV, those suits would be absolutely fine.

Said another way, many fine distinctions - such as this muted pattern, this cut, this exact tone or shade - not being appropriate for an interview or wedding is a thing of the past, IMHO. I started working in the tail-end of that era - when we'd note that a candidate came in with too-light-colored a suit or tassels loafers - but no one (or almost no one) thinks that way anymore. Now, a dark suit, light shirt, conservative tie, dress shoes - everything reasonably tailored and cleaned and pressed - is more than most do for interviews and funerals and will be seen as more than appropriate.

Charles Dana likes this.
  5. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    The cloth the OP posted is so discrete that I doubt most will even notice it's patterned from more than a foot or two.

HanEyeAm likes this.
  6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Are you kidding?

[​IMG]

7. HanEyeAm

HanEyeAm New Member

United States
    VA
    Mechanicsville
    This is a bit further than a foot or two, but it certainly does not show at this resolution.

Before alterations.[​IMG]

8. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Looks to fit you rather nicely. I like it!

[​IMG]

HanEyeAm likes this.
  9. HanEyeAm

HanEyeAm New Member

United States
    VA
    Mechanicsville
    Aaaand to wrap things up, here is an awful, distorted via perspective, coat askew, dressing room lit pic to show the actual pattern. Thanks again for the opinions and perspectives!

[​IMG]

10. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Still a nice jacket!

The pose and photography, eh . . . .

[​IMG]

Fading Fast and HanEyeAm like this.