Subtle Prince of Wales pattern: Ok for your basic charcoal suit?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by HanEyeAm, Jun 13, 2018.

1. HanEyeAm

HanEyeAm New Member

United States
    VA
    Mechanicsville
    Hello, I need a basic, "do it all" charcoal suit for rare business presentations, interviews, funerals, etc. An HSM suit (their typical worsted wool, 1/2 canvassed line) at a local clothier fits me well OTR. A 30% weekend sale sweetens the deal. From a distance it looks like a solid but actually has all an grey/charcoal Prince of Wales pattern, similar to the one below.

I understand that solid charcoal/dark grey is usually recommended for a "one suit," but it seems this would fit the bill as well. What do you think?

[Edit] similar to this fabric (sans contrast stitching):
    https://www.mark-stephen.co.uk/medi...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/l/sleeve_1_3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    The typical advice here is to go with a solid navy or charcoal, but in the case I think you’re fine.

It’s sufficiently conservative and I think you can get away with it, especially if you don’t wear suits all that often.

3. DCR

DCR Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    MA
    Boston
    I think that's a great pattern and conservative for business purposes.

HanEyeAm likes this.
  4. fishertw

fishertw Super Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Boone
    I think it's a good solution. I also like POW fabric. Being retired and not wearing suits very often, if I did not have a will fitting suit that could easily be a"go to" solution.

HanEyeAm likes this.
  5. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    I'd argue that how you want to use it - as a suit for everything including weddings, etc. - that you are better off with the subtle POWs pattern as a solid grey suit has a bit too much of a "business suit" feel to it; whereas, the pattern in your grey suit makes it look less "Man in the Grey Flannel Suit" and allows it to fit in better at an evening wedding or other celebratory event. This way, you'll look more like you dressed for the specific event than just showed up at it after work.

HanEyeAm likes this.
  6. Charles Dana

Charles Dana Advanced Member

United States
    California
    San Francisco
    The pattern is dark enough and subtle enough to give the suit the utility you are looking for. So go for it.

If you are going to wear it to a Very Important Event such as a job interview, funeral, etc. and you are feeling the slightest bit insecure about the suit because of its pattern, simply wear a white shirt with a point or a moderately-spread collar and a solid burgundy necktie (grenadine!), which will enable you to achieve all necessary formality.

HanEyeAm and Fading Fast like this.
  7. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    I'd use it as you want in a heartbeat. Great fabric.

HanEyeAm likes this.
  8. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    The one caveat with this has to do with the weight of the fabric.

It’s always hard to tell with a photo, but looking at it more closely, the fabric appears to be somewhat substantial and thick. Perhaps more appropriate for cooler months, but not when it’s warmer.

Just something to consider.

HanEyeAm likes this.
  9. StephenRG

StephenRG Honors Member

United States
    New York
    Merrick
    Just don't order the contrast stitching nor have the last button unbuttoned.

HanEyeAm likes this.
  10. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    That's really nice cloth. The glen check is possibly my favorite suit pattern. And one this dark and discreet is suitable for virtually any business, particularly if worn with with a white shirt and discreet dark accessories. Is it as formal as a solid, or some stripes? Perhaps not, but the difference in formality is so slight as not to be noticed in most business situations.

HanEyeAm likes this.