Style Differences between Europe and the United States

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Alligator, Jul 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alligator

Alligator Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Minnesota
    Minneapolis
    I will be working in Sweden soon, and wondered if there are any particular style differences between Europe (generally) and the U.S.? How do the trends differ between the locations? What should I be paying attention to (other than clothing cost!)?

2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    With all due respect I think you’re over thinking it.

Wear clothing appropriate for work. Your companies dress code should inform you on how and what.

As for leisure pursuits, wear what you normally wear.

3. ItalianStyle

ItalianStyle Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    Ontario
    Cambridge
    Having lived on both continents, I would agree. There is probably more differences between urban and countryside clothing within the country than between these two countries.

If I really, really, have to generalize, I would say that outside North America, baseball caps are not considered as something you wear as a grown-up...

Andy likes this.
  4. Rollo

Rollo New Member

United States
    PA
    King of Prussia
    I often laugh at the bloggers and writers who talk about how some Parisian or some Generic Italian men dress so elegantly and how American men should ape them. So often these bloggers provide examples of professional designers walking in the heart of the Milanese fashion district or maybe in a small very fashionable street in Paris, trying to give people the idea that this is how the whole country or continent dresses.

There are some differences but they are fairly subtle from what I have seen. Nothing to worry too much about.

5. Will.pennington7

Will.pennington7 New Member

United States
    Florida
    Parrish
    I spent 4 months in England (not mainland Europe, I know; but I spent time in Germany as well) and there were very few differences in everyday clothing that I noted.

I had a notion that English people as a whole were better dressed (I suppose Savile Row had something to do with it), but I really didn't find this to be the case. Even in Oxford, I didn't find people to be better dressed. Most everyone looked about the same as around my neck of the woods.

Wear what works for your job, I'd say!

6. Alligator

Alligator Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Minnesota
    Minneapolis
    I'm not really concerned with what I'd wear, I'm interested in knowing the style differences between the two locations. For example, are suits cut differently? Pleats vs. no pleats as a general preference? What type of shirt collars are preferred?

7. Will.pennington7

Will.pennington7 New Member

United States
    Florida
    Parrish
    I see. Little difference from what I saw.

SG_67 likes this.
  8. Andy

Andy Site Creator/Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Palm Desert
    Admin Post
    Alligator:

I can help here with the basic rules of men's fashion everywhere! Pleats are designed to allow you to sit!! Can't think of any reason not to have pleats on trousers.

Shirt collars are all fine, but button-down collars are not acceptable after 6 PM and in some places not acceptable with a suit! See the FAQ linked from the home page.