Stiffening A Shirt's Placket

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by chris2008, May 20, 2018.

1. chris2008

chris2008 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    Nesconset
    When wearing a shirt without a tie and with a sports jacket, it's nice if the shirt's placket has some firmness. I was thinking about using starch or a starch alternative to stiffen the placket.

I have never used starch or a starch alternative before, so I thought it would best for me to ask here first.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I have used spray starch in the dim past with some success, and while it will certainly stiffen it, I'm not sure it will do what you want. It is likely as much a product of cloth and construction as anything that can be done with stiffening.

And what is it you're trying to accomplish that the placket currently doesn't offer?

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  3. Truth&Rights

Truth&Rights Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Michigan
    SE
    Do you have a picture of the shirt? I used spray starch a lot when I was younger and never use it now because I don't like the feel.

If your shirt has a floppy French placket on it starch isn't going to fix that.

If it has a regular placket I would simply try steam ironing both sides of the placket before wear. I find that trick also works well with shirts that have unlined and unfused collars.

4. mikel

mikel Partner / Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
    Admin Post
    @chris2008 if starch does not work, you may want to check out Million Dollar Collar.

It's like a collar stay for your shirt's placket -- a placket stiffener.

million-dollar-collar-before-and-after.jpg

Disclaimer: I did not link to the website, because my friend owns this company.

5. Andy

Andy Site Creator/Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Palm Desert
    Admin Post
    chris2008:

Try spray starch just on the placket and opposite and then iron. See if that works!

6. chris2008

chris2008 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    Nesconset
    Thank you, Andy.

Is there any particular spray starch that you would recommend? And, is it true that starch can damage fabric?

I have found these starch alternatives:

Stiffen Up
    The Bucko Ironing Spray
    Mary Ellen's Best Press
    London Laundry Spray Starch Alternative

Has anyone ever tried any of these?

Thanks,

Chris

7. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Sorry, I haven't used spray starch in a long time, and when I did, it was just a common variety then abundant.

I can't say that starch will damage cloth, perhaps over the long term it's not the best thing for it, but I doubt an occasional use will do too much harm. However, you have to be careful using your iron as starch does make scorching a greater possibility. Too long or hot an application can cause this.

8. jts287

jts287 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Rocky River
    I was with it up til the install. Has to be a way to achieve the same result with the stay on the outside of the placket...

9. mikel

mikel Partner / Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
    Admin Post
    @jts287 - understandably, many people won't be inclined to install Million Dollar Collar themselves.

Though, any local dry cleaner, seamstress/tailor, or hobby sewer will happily install them for around $10 per shirt, and possibly less. One time cost. They also claim they last the life of your shirt.

If I'm not mistaken, they also have an authorized/qualified installers locator on their website.

I did run across three other products that were designed to help plackets stay more upright:

1. ShirtProp - Stick on plastic. Good idea, but not the most ideal execution

2. Perky Collar - Large clear plastic insert to go under your collar

3. The Original Collar & Placket Stays - Thin plastic reinforcement that goes under your collar

#3 has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon, with nearly 250 reviews, so it seems like it could be a reasonable thing to try.

Using #2 or #3 would be less expensive than installing Million Dollar Collar in all your shirts, but I'm sure some would see the value of a permanent solution over wearing another accessory.