Steven Mnuchin and his peak lapel suits

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by L-feld, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Dr. Pain

Dr. Pain New Member

United States
    Virginia
    Charlottesville
    I just saw this post.

I think it’s fair to say that Steve Mnuchin is the only one in the Donald Trump cabinet who loves Tom Ford.

2. FLMike

FLMike Connoisseur

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    Drink!

3. TheBarbaron

TheBarbaron Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Virginia
    Charlottesville
    Yeah, he wears them pretty well. As a fellow peak-lapel aficionado, I like 'em - and I'm inclined to agree that the unfortunate triangle is a byproduct of having his arm around the young lady.

4. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    I think Herr Doctor is trying his best to make you drink.

Jgarner197 likes this.
  5. Dr. Pain

Dr. Pain New Member

United States
    Virginia
    Charlottesville
    Cheers!!

FLMike likes this.
  6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago

7. Orsini

Orsini Honors Member

United States
    California
    Lawndale
    A little bit of Bermuda triangle.

8. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    The SB peaked lapel has become more popular in recent years. I have favored it on myself for the better part of the last decade and probably about half of my suits and jackets are SB peaked. I think for most men it favors their habitus. Maybe on a very short individual who has a body builder physique (wide chest) it doesn't work as well? (although depending - a high gorge with a more vertical angle may help elongate the frame.)

Nonetheless, in my opinion I find that in general, a peaked lapel does tend to widen the shoulders more than elongate the body but that can be modulated. Unlike a notch lapel, there are more permutations so with a peak lapel the ability to change the length of the gorge and at the same time alter the depth, the length, and the angle of the notch one can markedly change the appearance to flatter one's physique. So for a tall man, lowering the gorge, widening the lapel, longer more horizontal gorge, longer notch - these are factors that widen the shoulders and give a more athletic look to a tall thin person. Granted, for a short wide chested individual doing the exact opposite may actually elongate the body but my supposition is that this is less likely to be successful.