Silly question about shirt design

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Jainarayan, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jainarayan

Jainarayan New Member

NJ USA
    United States
    New Jersey
    Monroe
    Is it too much to ask shirt makers to put an extra button towards the bottom of the shirt to keep it neat when it's tucked in? o_O Of course shirts tend to ride up and come untucked, but often when that happens the front tails of the shirt separate.

For example, I wear 171/2 - 32/33. The front placket from top buttonhole to bottom is usually 28", which is long enough because I'm short, but the last button is usually at my navel or a little above. I wear my pants just about navel level but I find myself sticking my hand in to smooth out the front of the shirt (I know... tmi? :D).

The funny thing is that some shirts, like Kohl's Croft & Barrow or JCPenney Stafford have that extra button at the bottom which keeps the shirt neat.

I'm probably overthinking this, but has anyone else noticed this, and if so what do you do? I thought about a safety pin. I'm wondering if it's worth asking the tailor to put that extra button and buttonhole.

2. Hebrew Barrister

Hebrew Barrister Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    texas
    yourmomtown
    Why on Earth don't OCBD's have a hidden button halfway between the first and second buttons, to help keep the collar from spreading much when you're not wearing a tie?

Why don't large and extra large sized clothing separate into tall and fat variants? Protip to clothing companies - not everyone in a L or XL is tall and requiring of 36in long arms.

Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Why is relieving yourself called "taking a [insert waste product here]" instead of leaving it? You're not actually taking it anywhere.

Life's mysteries.

127.72 MHz and Jainarayan like this.
  3. Jainarayan

Jainarayan New Member

NJ USA
    United States
    New Jersey
    Monroe
    I've noticed that. It's particularly bad if you undo the second button, and if there's a more than usual space between the top and second buttons. I used to do that (undo the second button) but quite honestly I don't like the way it looks. So it's only the top button I undo.

But you're right, so many mysteries, so few solutions. :D

4. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    Strange. I'm 5' 9 1/2" and 158 lbs. Fairly proportional and wear my waistband at the bottom of my belly button. I always have one shirt button midway under the waistband and one tucked in well below with 6 above.

I never have my shirts coming untucked. They may pull up an inch or so above the waistband during the day but never become untucked. Then again I do not buy short shirts I look for generous tails.

5. Kyle76

Kyle76 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    NC
    Fayetteville

Jainarayan likes this.
  6. Jainarayan

Jainarayan New Member

NJ USA
    United States
    New Jersey
    Monroe
    Fortunately they don't come out completely, just ride up a bit now and then... the inch or so you mentioned, which is easy to fix. For some reason, it's true, some brands have shorter tails. I've gone through my closet and segregated them into a Wear Untucked on Weekends category because they won't stay in. That's OK but I think the real problem is that there's a button missing down below the waistband. On shirts that have that, it's perfect.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Super Member

United States
    California
    San Diego
    I'm confused also. I'm 6'2", 195lbs and wear a 16 32/33. I wear my trousers an inch or two below my belly button and none of my shirts have this problem. BB, JAB, TM Lewin, Charles Thywhitt, and a few off brands. I vaguely remember one or two old shirts that did this, maybe Paul Frederick? I can't remember. Still though, it's not common and when OP describes himself as short, I'm further confused.

OP, what brands of shirts are these halter tops you're wearing?

8. Charles Dana

Charles Dana Advanced Member

United States
    California
    San Francisco
    When people are down in the dumps, generally because of a significant disappointment, we say that they are “crestfallen.” Yet when they are elated because things have gone their way, we never say they are “crestrisen.” Why is that?

Anyway, Jainarayan, your question isn’t silly at all. In fact, you’ll notice that one of the prominent advertisers on this forum is Alexander Kabbaz, proprietor of CustomShirt1. Mr. Kabbaz is a well-known and highly-regarded maker of made-from-scratch, absolutely bespoke shirts. A long time ago, right here in this forum, Mr. Kabbaz stated that a shirtmaker should attach as many evenly-spaced buttons down the front placket of a shirt as there is room for. The buttons shouldn’t stop until there is not enough length left to attach another one.

It is completely appropriate to ask a tailor to add another button to the front placket if you are afflicted with STSS (Shirttail Separation Syndrome). Stiss—you don’t need to put up with it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Jainarayan likes this.
  9. Jainarayan

Jainarayan New Member

NJ USA
    United States
    New Jersey
    Monroe
    I define short as 5'6" :D I've measured the length of the front placket at 27" for a size 17 and just a hair under 29" for a 171/2. That's no problem, except for the fact that without an extra button down below the waistband, if the shirt does come untucked, the tails don't stay together. I think it looks sloppy. This is kind of the look I'm talking about that happens without a bottom button on dress shirts:

[​IMG]

The brands are all kinds... Macy*s Club Room, MW's Joseph & Feiss, Pronto Uomo, Eagle, and a few others. As I said, the less expensive shirts from JCPenney and Kohl's are actually more generous in length and have one more button at the bottom.

10. Jainarayan

Jainarayan New Member

NJ USA
    United States
    New Jersey
    Monroe
    I like that term, which aptly describes it. :) I don't have many of those shirts left, but for the ones I do have, I think I will go ahead and ask the tailor to do it. It shouldn't cost too much. Heck, if I could make a properly stitched buttonhole I'd do it myself! :D