-->

Short sleeves order (Shirt Sleeve Order - SSO)

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Trimmer, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Trimmer

Trimmer Super Member

UK
    England
    North Shields
    That should be 'shirt sleeve order' (thank you London Fogey)

On a hot day like this (in England) 30 odd years ago you hoped that at your school or office the 'short sleeves order' would be given. This meant you could remove your jacket, but it also involved the immediate removal of your tie, braces (suspenders), and the rolling-up of the shirt sleeves.

With the arrival of the yuppies - and, shall we say, a different sort of chap in places and positions of influence - what had once been abominations (visible braces) became symbols of 'status'.

It is clear from the 'British evening jackets' thread that long-sleeved (not rolled-up) shirts are now the norm, but I would suggest that keeping the tie on is not (unless you are being made to wear some kind of corporate uniform).

I do not think I need to comment on short-sleeve shirts, with or without ties.

Trimmer

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  2. LondonFogey

LondonFogey Senior Member

I believe the phrase is 'shirt sleeve order' or SSO, which derives from military dress orders.

When I was at school in the eighties there were still one or two masters who would not allow you to remove your blazer in class unless they had given permission first, but this was going out. We did, however have to wear our blazers on the way to and from school, although this was difficult to enforce. Later in my first job we were permitted to remove jackets but not to loosen ties.

I wonder if anywhere still has rules like this - even in the London clubs it is becoming more and more common for men to just take their jackets off as if they were overcoats.

3. Trimmer

Trimmer Super Member

UK
    England
    North Shields
    Yes you are quite right - a slip on my part. I will correct the title to avoid embarassment while giving you full acknowledgment for pointing it out.

Trimmer

4. Trimmer

Trimmer Super Member

UK
    England
    North Shields
    It seems you can't edit titles anymore.

Trimmer

5. LondonFogey

LondonFogey Senior Member

Short Sleeve Order would be worrying - what would one do if one was ordered to wear a short sleeved shirt?

In my first job, I was told off by my New Zealander boss for wearing shirt sleeves rolled up - he said a short sleeved shirt was smarter. Fortunately he was overruled by his boss! The president of another company I worked for also told me to button all three buttons on my jacket...:eek: but I got out of it by saying 'there are two schools of thought on that one, sir...':cry:

6. Trimmer

Trimmer Super Member

UK
    England
    North Shields
    I am a bit dozey this morning. Must be the heat.

T.

7. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Tech and Business Advice Guru

United States
    New York
    East Hampton
    Tech Hat On
    Titles can still be edited, but only (if I read the documentation correctly) for a few minutes after you make the original post. Something to do with the database.

You may all feel welcome any time to PM one of the moderators for the relevant forum and ask them to fix a title.
    Tech Hat Off

Grandad never mentioned the SSO to me in any of our discussions ... but he graduated (Catholic Institute) in 1906 perhaps before Merrye Olde England became so lax. :devil:

8. Trimmer

Trimmer Super Member

UK
    England
    North Shields
    Thank you for letting me know.

I wonder how often the Queen has wished she had had a few minutes to change her mind after bestowing a title.

Trimmer

9. fearghas

fearghas Starting Member

At school we had the equivalent of a SSO. When summer dress was announced, we could choose not to wear our blazers around the grounds, but if so, without a tie as well. It was all or nothing. However, we always had to have our blazers and ties in school with us so for smarter occasions we had them, or if the weather changed over the course of the day.

Qute apart from that, we were allowed to take our jackets off in lessons only when given express permission for the teacher. Usually it was not a problem, but some enjoyed excercising their control over us....:teacha:

To be seen without a jacket by the headmaster was something to be avoided, I'll say

10. Tom Bell-Drier

Tom Bell-Drier Super Member

we had SSO at my school it would be announced at morning assembly and no matter how warm the day you were simply not allowed to remove your tie or blazer untill SSO was announced by the headmaster after morning prayers,
    the method of rolling sleeves was strictly enforced with no more nor less than 4 rolls with the finished roll being no wider than the cuff, I remember one fellow classmate being canned for removing his blazer prior to the headmaster announcing SSO (this would be in about 1982 not long before the banning of corprol punnishment-which leads me to my somewhat dubious claim to fame of being the last boy at my school to be canned prior to the banning of same-for the heinous crime of talking after lights out).