Shoe store etiquette?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by scottfranklin, Jun 23, 2018.

1. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    G and G is a very small shop on the row. It's not really set up for lunch like a Starbucks. There is only one or maybe two sales people in the store. A bit like the Lobb store on Madison avenue. I wouldn't wear the sales person out but I think she will be very receptive - there's a good chance the OP will be the only person in the store.

2. son of brummell

son of brummell Super Member

United States
    New York
    New York
    Brushing aside my sarcasm, my opinion is not to go to the next step to try-on shoes if you have no intention of buying.

Selling women's shoes can be quite rugged, but the Bergdorf Goodman salesmen sell a ton of shoes and get some of the highest commission incomes in NYC. They may get the occasional pest, but they have a customer base of serious customers who buy in multiples.

3. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I totally disagree and for a very good reason. My first pair of G and Gs were a MTO fit by Dean. He just measured me and erroneously undersized me by 1/2 size. The shoes have always been a bit snug and they were a small fortune. Had I taken the additional step of trying on some of his shoes (which he didn't have since it was a trunk show) I would have had a better fit - I still wear them but they have always been a bit snug. Just because he isn't buying shoes right now doesn't mean he won't in the future and knowing his fit could be very helpful.

4. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    Crikey! I had not previously realised that shops could be such fraught experiences.

As in any situation - recognise and apply the appropriate admixture of charmingly aloof. Obtain personal satisfaction foremost whilst making others feel appreciated if possible.

5. scottfranklin

scottfranklin New Member

Rochester, New York
    United States
    New York
    Rochester
    Hi all,

Just got back from a wonderful trip and thought I'd give update. First off, the in-store visit to G&G was completely worth it and I can now only imagine the mistakes I would have made ordering a shoe from them w/o an in-store visit. The store was empty when I went in and the salesman very understanding. There was an acceptable level of encouragement to buy but also an understanding that a purchase of this magnitude might take some time/thought. At no time did I feel like I was wasting his time or that he was getting frustrated. The visit not only made me more likely to order from them (lusting after floor models certainly didn't hurt) but if I do I suspect I will be MUCH happier knowing what I now do.

For example, nothing could replace the experience of having shoes from each of their 6 lasts laid side-by-side so I could get a real sense of each. I'm torn between the deco & soft square last, but soft square is probably more consistent with my wardrobe so that's what the salesman & I focused on. But it really helped to be able to rule out 4 of the 6 pretty quickly.

Trying on shoes not only confirmed the right size but the salesman noticed that my right foot was collapsing over the arch more than my left. He recommended a modification they make in which a hard piece is put in the shoe to support the arch. Something that could only be caught in person that avoids a later regret.

Finally, the in-person samples of leather capture texture in a way that pictures simply can't, and having the salesman guide me through their massive book of samples was really helpful. I was totally overwhelmed with the choices but he really helped narrow down the options.

The final result was a double-monk (Grosvenor) in the MH71 soft square last in oak hatchgrain (below is a chukka in that leather).

[​IMG]

Anyway, the visit couldn't have gone better and thanks to all that encouraged me to go!

Separately, I hit up Edward Green and Lobb. Saw some nice stuff but nothing nearly as nice as the G&Gs. The only thing that compares was a bespoke boot from Foster & Sons but £6,000 ($8,000) is more than a bit out of my league!

scott

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    never behind and Fading Fast like this.
  6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    ⇧ Glad it went so well and thank you for posting such detailed follow up.

7. VPCEH91

VPCEH91 Suspended

Canada
    ONTARIO
    TORONTO
    Nothing wrong with try before you buy- isn't that the entire point of a brick and mortar store...?

8. MNJ83

MNJ83 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying on before buying. If you are shopping about, try on anything and everywhere your heart desires.

My point was that if you are, hypothetically, buying an Alden shoe online at 30 percent of, but because you don’t know your sizing you go into a unrelated brick and mortar knowing full well there is **absolutely zero**chance you will buy **anything**from them. So you go in to use their resources, a/c, manpower etc so you can get the perfect fit and give the business to someone else.

Would you like someone to go into your store and waste your time asking you questions if he was not going to buy anything from you now or in the future and just came in to use you as a reference point?

It is entirely different when there is even a remote chance you will buy something/anything from that brick and mortar store and you are just looking around in which case, by all means, knock yourself out.

People do this all the time. It’s like women who leave tags on attire with the intention of return it after wearing it once and bought the garment with the deliberate intent of returning it. I guess not everyone worked in retail in high school to witness the atrocities that some “customers” perpetrate.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  9. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I think the other main point here is that G and G is a small operation. The store in question is a factory store (flagship store) so it is not possible to take advantage in the way you envision. Any purchase of a G and G shoe from virtually any retailer actually helps them. Moreover, once you get on the mailing list they will send you offers, they have sales, etc... I have bought several pairs over the years online directly from them but this would not have been possible without learning about their product line which included a visit to the flagship store. In general, I agree with you that it is a bit unfair to take advantage of brick and mortar when you have no intent of purchasing except online. I think this is not the same situation as I have outlined, since profits from any purchase to some extent will work their way back to G and G. Distinctly different from going to say Neiman Marcus - trying on everything and then buying from a different retailer (assuming you aren't buying Neiman Marcus branded clothing.)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  10. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Glad you visited - it's a nice experience and very personal. I am not certain they get enough traffic to pay the rent there but it is a boutique experience and being the first shoe store on the row may be a bit of a feather in their cap.