Shoe store etiquette?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by scottfranklin, Jun 23, 2018.

1. derum

derum Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    Good grief, he's going into a shoe shop. There is no duty or obligation on anyones part to make a purchase, and it certainly isn't theft if you try but don't buy.
    OP, go to G&G, EG, Lobb et al and try on shoes that you like.Don't be a dick with the salesperson, be polite and ask as many questions as you like. They will not be offended if you don't buy, and will certainly know how to deal with you if they want you to go away.

2. drlivingston

drlivingston Connoisseur

United States
    of
    America
    Go to any of the stores and try on to your heart's content. Be completely honest with them. Let them know that you are trying to decide about a future purchase and are wanting to make sure of how different lasts / silhouettes fit. At that level of purchase, you are not wasting some minimum wage kid's time getting shoes from the back stockroom. These shoes are practically investment grade. Educating yourself will, invariably, save you and the company time and future misery.

3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I agree there's absolutely no obligation to make a purchase and you're not wasting their time. They get paid for their time. If it were me, I would simply explain your circumstances and intent upon entering, and request their help. That's just courtesy. As mentioned, this is a high end purchase and such a shop is hopefully staffed by knowledgeable professionals who are experienced and well compensated. I expect they will be delighted to assist you because;

- They know from experience that many contacts won't result in a sale.

- They're serving to educate you which will ultimately be to the maker's and potentially their own personal advantage. Not making the sale today, doesn't mean they won't make it tomorrow. What if your helpful, friendly salesperson says, "Now that I know your fitting and preferences, I will e-mail you when we have a sale, and throw in free shipping should you order through us." Interested?

- I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a shop with one intent, and walked out with an armload of merchandise! :oops:

4. DaveTrader

DaveTrader Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    MI
    Ann Arbor
    I visited the Church store in NYC years ago to try on the Grafton. I went in knowing full well that I would never buy in the store and would buy online from Herring.

I felt bad as the salesperson was very helpful and accommodating. So on the way out I tipped him for his time.

5. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    All ⇧ good color and this ⇩:

Me too :(.

6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Keep in mind, too, that the sales associate learns from every interaction as well. Even if nothing gets sold, he will learn and hone his craft.

There’s too much of this Glenngarry Glen Ross thing going on.

7. Adelstensfostre

Adelstensfostre Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Norway
    Østfold
    Fredrikstad
    Great movie though.

SG_67 likes this.
  8. son of brummell

son of brummell Super Member

United States
    New York
    New York
    Sure, you have the "right" to visit the store, try-on a bunch of shoes (be sure to try-on every style in your approximate size), pepper the salesman with arcane question of all sorts ("what is the source of the leather?"), copy down last and style numbers, take photos (so that you can buy the shoes from a cheaper source), and then leave with a hearty "thank you." While, you're at it, you might as well bring lunch and a laptop computer and hang-out like it's Starbucks.

Seriously, if you're not buying, don't waste the salesman's time. It's OK to browse the shop and look at shoes on display and to ask some questions. It's OK to "window shop". But trying-on shoes and having the salesman run back and forth to the backroom or basement is wasting the salesman's time and energy.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    MNJ83 and DaveTrader like this.
  9. Adelstensfostre

Adelstensfostre Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Norway
    Østfold
    Fredrikstad
    Laying down great effort in constructing a totally unrealistic worst case scenario is really not a great way to convince anybody that your opinion is more valid than theirs.

10. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Starbucks encourages this. I’m sure however that a men’s shoe store is not the same as a coffee serving public toilet.

With that said, there’s a right way and wrong way of doing it.

Son of Brummell has invoked a straw man. One needn’t act like a buffoon and start asking ridiculous questions.

Simply browsing is fine. If you’d like to see how a shoe fits that’s fine too. Don’t feel bad, you’re not wasting their time.

Contrast this, by the way, with how women shop. I’ve been in Bergdorf and have seen a troop of women, probably on some bachelorette party, trying on 5-6 pair of shoes, walking around, chit chatting, taking pics of themselves wearing the shoes and then walking out.

If I were condemned to hell and made to live my again in a hellish existence, I can think of few more appropriate roles than that of a women’s shoe salesman at Bergdorf Goodman.