Shoe store etiquette?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by scottfranklin, Jun 23, 2018.

1. scottfranklin

scottfranklin New Member

Rochester, New York
    United States
    New York
    Rochester
    Hi all,

I'm off to London today for a conference & vacation. There are a number of stores I'm looking forward to stopping in on (and suggestions always welcome!) but I have a specific question about high end shoe stores (e.g. Gaziano & Girling). It's unlikely I can muster up the money (or courage) to spend $1,000+ on shoes in the near future. Would it be rude to go to the store to get fitted and try on different lasts for a possible future online order?

This would be hugely valuable/enlightening to me but I don't want to waste their time. Any thoughts?

2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Of course not! You're not wasting their time. That's what they are there for. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

3. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I have been in their store. I also own about 10 pairs of their shoes. They have occasional sales so I have bought shoes from them online at half price and knowing my size and which models I liked helped a lot. Just be truthful, show some interest and the sales people will likely be very interested in helping you. Especially if you tell them you are from the States and this is your best opportunity to get to understand their product line. Unless you pick a busy day the sales people (indeed, when I was there is was one sales woman) is/are likely bored and appreciate people who really want to understand their product. From their perspective, it's a great way to gain some product loyalty. Plus it is a very tiny store on the Row and a lot of what they do is MTO. I doubt they work on commision so it's not like they are wasting time when they could be making money with another customer. Great shoes - definitely my favorite.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    The Irishman likes this.
  4. jts287

jts287 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Rocky River
    Maybe just tell them upfront that you're only trying on today, so their expectations fall in line.

Fading Fast likes this.
  5. TheDlABlO

TheDlABlO Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I agree with this.

If it is a company/factory store, I would not feel bad about it because you'll eventually buy from the parent company.

if it is an authorized retailer you should feel a little worse...

The Irishman likes this.
  6. mrkleen

mrkleen Super Member

Boston
    United States
    MA
    Boston
    Trying things on is the point of brick and mortar retail.

If they dont welcome this, they wont be in business much longer.

drlivingston likes this.
  7. MNJ83

MNJ83 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    I agree with being upfront.

Part of your duties as a consumer is not to use the resources of a business when you undoubtedly know you will not make a purchase. It’s like stealing.

If there is the possibility you will make a purchase, or if you are upfront then you are not abusing the shops resources.

8. Adelstensfostre

Adelstensfostre Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Norway
    Østfold
    Fredrikstad
    Duty? Stealing? Honestly, that takes the biscuit.

And how could anyone possibly know they will not make a purchase, ever?

If this was how things actually worked there would be about five shops in every major city and only a grocery store and perhaps a fast food joint everywhere else. Oh, and a liquor store of course.

drlivingston likes this.
  9. MNJ83

MNJ83 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    Sure you can.

You can Walk into X store to get fitted for a particular shoe model you want that they carry , knowing full well in advance you will order the shoe online from another retailer that’s cheaper. You are using that stores resources unfairly.

The are customer obligations too. Not just customer rights.

10. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    The store is free to refuse the fitting as well.

The consumer is under no moral obligation.