Rolling up sleeves

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by FiscalDean, Jul 10, 2018.

1. FLMike

FLMike Connoisseur

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    Surprised no one has suggested this method, which I employ about half the time. The other half I just do a couple of standard, outward rolls.

[​IMG]

2. Will.pennington7

Will.pennington7 New Member

United States
    Florida
    Parrish
    I'm an outside roll guy. Three puts me just below the elbow. I don't think it looks too messy, but what really gets me is when people unbutton their cuffs and just scrunch their sleeves up to the elbow.

3. poppies

poppies New Member

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
    The above “Master Sleeve Roll” is my strong preference after hearing about it on this very forum, I believe noted by member Shaver. It stays in place well, it’s got a masculine aesthetic IMHO, and it allows for cuffs to stay somewhat unwrinkled if one needs to unroll and put on a blazer.

FLMike likes this.
  4. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    Can someone inform me what the practical purpose of rolling up dress shirt cuffs is? The sleeves of summer-weight shirts wear rather cool, and I don't find having layers of fabric further up the arm to be all that cool-wearing. It makes sense if we're doing manual labour, but none of us are regularly doing manual labour in our dress shirts. Is it only to make us look as if we're working harder?

5. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Certain types of dining - family style where there is lots of reaching for food. Take the jacket off, roll up the sleeves and keep the food off your clothing.

eagle2250 and delicious_scent like this.
  6. Dhaller

Dhaller Super Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    I've just always done it since I was a kid - at school, it was just the standard that boys roll up their sleeves. I mean, in those days we didn't have air conditioning in school, and of course the playground was hot outside of winter, so we all loosened our ties and rolled up our sleeves. Probably trouser legs, too.

That, and I'd say I've done a fair amount of manual labor in dress shirts, especially if you classify labwork as "manual" (it is, to a surprising degree). No one wants a shirt cuff catching on something in a room which can kill you! Sleeves up.

DH

7. Dhaller

Dhaller Super Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    That's exactly the method I described in my post.

Now I have a name for it (albeit an odious one).

8. FLMike

FLMike Connoisseur

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    I still can’t find a post in which you described that method. No matter....

9. Dhaller

Dhaller Super Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    Rolling up sleeves

DH

10. FLMike

FLMike Connoisseur

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    I saw your post. I just don’t see how it describes that method.