Rolling up sleeves

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by FiscalDean, Jul 10, 2018.

1. FiscalDean

FiscalDean Super Member

United States
    WI
    Elcho
    I've noticed that all men I've seen with sleeves rolled up fold the cuff up over the sleeve. I once worked for a man who always folded the cuff under the sleeve. This, IMHO, provides a much neater presentation. I'm curious what other men do: when rolling up sleeves, do you fold the sleeve up or do you fold it under?

2. fishertw

fishertw Super Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Boone
    I roll them up usually two turns but occasionally three turns. I have only a few short sleeve shirts other than polos, so in warmer weather it's usually a rolled up sleeve on a poplin or thinner material button down shirting.

3. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    As long as they are out of the way, I don’t care. I’m trying to work.

4. jts287

jts287 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Rocky River
    Folding down doesn't stay as well, like gravity makes the cuff come untucked.

5. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    I flip them up, over. The preferred gauntlet button keeps them in place. I once experimented with folding them under - too fussy.

6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Yes, and if all else fails, there’s nothing wrong with just going shirtless.

7. 3piece

3piece Senior Member

United States
    CA
    Irvine
    Neater, sure. Seems more restrictive, though, and less air circulation.

8. Dhaller

Dhaller Super Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    I roll from the outside; I frankly can hardly imagine the reverse. How odd!

I used to roll twice, so I had the mid-arm thing going on, but now I roll until the sleeves are above my elbows (maybe 4 rolls?). If you need the sleeves out of the way, just roll them out of the way. And besides, there's a certain proletarian glamor to sleeves rolled all the way up for proper work; it shows off the (hopefully) muscular forearms.

DH

9. FiscalDean

FiscalDean Super Member

United States
    WI
    Elcho
    Even in this day of casual dress in the office, i.e. fuzzy slippers and a bathrobe, that may be taking things a little too far.

10. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Over the years I've rolled my sleeves both ways. If the goal is to shorten the sleeve fall to a point halfway down the forearm, I fold the cuffs under/inward perhaps two cuff widths. If the goal is to roll the sleeves to a point north of the elbow (requiring perhaps four folds), rolling the sleeve outward seems the only practical option. ;)