Removing steel shanks in shoes?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by challer, Jun 19, 2017.

1. challer

challer Well-Known Member

To make them TSA friendly. I travel four or more flights a week. I tend to avoid the Aldens in favor of C&J or Carmina due to the steel shanks. I know many don't consider removing shoes an issue, but I prefer not to when I do not have to. Please share your thoughts and experience.

2. smmrfld

smmrfld Well-Known Member

Simple solution...get TSA PreCheck and use the scanner instead of metal detector. I fly weekly, almost always wear Aldens with steel shanks, and haven't taken my shoes off in several years.

3. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

Do you mean replace the shank with a fibreglass shank, or do you want to remove the shank altogether? The latter is impossible, but I don't know if it's possible to replace the shank.

4. swils8610

swils8610 Well-Known Member

Same here. I don't fly weekly but regularly and never have an issue wearing Alden shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Nick V

Nick V Well-Known Member

An alternative would be to wear your shoes until the need resoling. When you bring/send them in ask the repair facility to replace the the steel shank with wooden ones.

6. WA

WA Well-Known Member

Have custom shoes made.

7. SG_67

SG_67 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm confused. Without pre check, all shoes are removed regardless of the material of the shank.

You could wear sneakers and you'd still
    Have to remove them.

8. Gurdon

Gurdon Moderator

Removing one's shoes is annoying. Nick V's suggestion makes sense.

Gurdon

9. challer

challer Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick - All my shoes go to you already.

YMMV. I've often, but not always, been asked to remove shoes if I request a scan vs. metal detector at PRE. And some of the smaller places I visit do not have a scanner at PRE. Some don't even have PRE.

When non-PRE, shoes and belts off has been a mixed bag. And haven't been asked to remove toiletries in a long time.