-->

Paying at or near MSRP: Samuelsohn vs. Canali

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by calk, Aug 12, 2017.

1. calk

calk Starting Member

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
    For my first suit, I've been researching fully-canvassed suits, and it seems from past threads that Samuelsohn is regarded as one of the best values in this category.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to wait for upcoming sales, so I plan on paying around MSRP.

Saks Fifth Avenue has their house brand suits made by Samuelsohn at $1300 MSRP, and they fit well on me. I've looked into Saks Off Fifth, and they do not carry the current mainline Saks made by Samuelsohn suits.

I have not tried on the Canali suits yet, but would Canali be worth the extra $400 or so ($1700 MSRP)?

And how would your opinion change if they both are marked, say, ~30% off (if there are upcoming sales)?

Obviously, everyone has their own perception of "value" - so I'd appreciate any thoughts on this matter, including just hearing about your experiences with either brand.

Thanks for your time.

2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    I'd still give the edge to Sammie. Especially with the discount.

3. Andre.luk

Andre.luk Starting Member

United States
    New York
    New York
  4. Kyle76

Kyle76 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    NC
    Fayetteville
    Go with the best fit. If it's cheaper, all the better.

5. JBierly

JBierly Super Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I can't say that one brand is a lot better than the other. Having owned a few of both they both represent moderately priced well made garments. I will say I am fairly impressed with the Samuelsohn MTM program so if you can take advantage (or need to based on your frame) and price is comparable then I would go that way.

6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    The only caveat being that MTM is typically not discounted like OTR would be.

7. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
  8. winghus

winghus Senior Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Greensboro
  9. calk

calk Starting Member

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
    Thanks all for your input - if anybody else has any thoughts regarding Samuelsohn, Canali, or alternative brands I should research, I'm all ears!!

Reassuring to hear, actually. Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, it's not in my size.

That's what I was thinking. I just didn't know if Canali offered any tangible improvements over the Samuelsohn.

Good to hear your opinion on both suits, and I'm glad to hear they're both comparable. That makes me lean towards the Samuelsohn. The suit fits me pretty well OTR, but I will investigate the MTM option and its pricing.

Another reason why I didn't really think of going the MTM route... but if I'm paying retail, it would be a consideration. But OTR fits me pretty well already.

I think I might be a little bit dense... Not sure if I get the reference. I assume it's because it's black like the Model T?

But yeah, I'm interested in charcoal (or navy) for a first suit... that's another question I guess. Charcoal seems just slightly more versatile to me.

Great find! Unfortunately, it's not in my size.

10. winghus

winghus Senior Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Greensboro
    If you have a local Sak's Off 5th, you should at least look to see what they have on hand. I've seen plenty of house brand by Samuelsohn at the one near me along with the occasional actual Samuelsohn sport coat. No Canali ever there but have seen a number of Bruno Cucinelli , Isaiah, and Kiton stuff, mostly sport coats and overcoats at beyond outrageous pricing even at 50% off. For suits, Hickey Freeman and the Samuelsohn stuff is the top tier I've seen.