-->

Oxford Shoes with Business Casual

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by never behind, Jan 12, 2018.

1. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    Spot on. I have one pair of oxfords that are really ONLY suited form smart casual wear due to materials and trim details. Open versus closed lacing is the first dividing criterion between dress and casual, but far from the only one.

While I can't say that I begin to understand the OP's aversion to derbies, all but the most formal of oxfords should work fine with a sport coat and dress trousers. At least he isn't asking for what oxfords to pair with jeans!

But my overall recommendation would be that the OP discover the world of smart derbies for business casual wear.

2. never behind

never behind Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Here are two examples of oxfords that I have. I’d love to hear your opinion. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JBierly

JBierly Super Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Agree

4. JBierly

JBierly Super Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Captoe oxfords (even with a bit of brogueing - aka quarter brogue) are fairly conservative shoes. Both pairs are going to do well with most suits. I probably wouldn't wear either pair with casual clothing - but now you have to define that.

graysuit likes this.
  5. never behind

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    For me business casual is something like this. Wool trousers and sport coat. [​IMG]

6. phyrpowr

phyrpowr Honors Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Charlotte
    I think they're fine, even plain black ones (if the trousers are navy or charcoal). A more formal shoe with a less formal outfit stands out far less than vice versa.

7. never behind

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I have learned some things from reading this forum.

I don’t dislike derbies, I just like the look of oxfords much more. I’ve spent my whole working career up until 2 years ago in banking wearing suits, so i think work shoes have always = oxfords. I do think I should pivot to looking at some derbies. I will say your posts (and some others) have me looking for some chukkas.

RogerP likes this.
  8. 3piece

3piece Senior Member

United States
    CA
    Irvine
    I wear everything I was not a fan of five years ago. Definitely don't knock it 'till you try it!

9. JBierly

JBierly Super Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I don't see any issue with oxfords with that outfit. Certainly some sportier shoes would work well too.

10. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Super Member

United States
    NC
    Waxhaw
    Tan shoes with navy trousers is the bigger issue here.

Want to branch out in the future? Try a split toe in a smooth calf leather.