Oxford Shoes with Business Casual

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by never behind, Jan 12, 2018.

1. never behind

never behind Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I personally prefer the look of Oxfords vs Derby dress shoes. I rarely wear suits but daily wear a business casual outfit of sport coat/odd wool trouser. Are brown/burgundy oxfords too formal for this outfit? Styles such as cap toe , perforated cap toe, or wingtip (in AE shoes -> Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue or McAllister). What about black oxfords, say with charcoal trousers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. scottfranklin

scottfranklin New Member

Rochester, New York
    United States
    New York
    Rochester
    I'm still learning myself, but I would think you could wear the Fifth Avenue or McAllister with those outfits. The Park Avenue looks more formal, especially in black because the toe stitching is less noticeable. Brogue or more noticeable stitching appears less formal to me, but it's really what your comfortable with.

3. 3piece

3piece Senior Member

United States
    CA
    Irvine
    I wear my brown Park Ave with that outfit with no hesitation.

4. stolo17

stolo17 Starting Member

United States
    GA
    Atlanta
    Not a problem. Go for it.

5. Hebrew Barrister

Hebrew Barrister Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    texas
    yourmomtown
    Regarding oxfords -- anything brogued would be perfect, although I don't see an issue with using capped toes here.

Regarding derbys -- while I love them and wear them regularly, am I the only one who only likes plain derbys? Brogued derbys just seem too busy to me. Mine are all plain toes.

6. never behind

never behind Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I agree. The only derbys I’ve owned have been plain. And I like brogues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. twoinhandknot

twoinhandknot Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Fifth Avenues go with pretty much any wool dress trouser, and would probably be alright with cotton dress pants as well. Go for it. It wouldn't look right with chinos though unless it was in a more casual color.

8. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I find brogueing on a derby to be fine. The informality of the brogueing seems to fit the informality of a derby at least to my eye.

9. Buffalo

Buffalo Super Member

United States
    new jersey
    teaneck
    I personally prefer a derby with business casual as it complements the look better than the moral formal oxford.

10. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    IMO, the issue isn't whether the shoe has an open or closed throat, but rather if its level of formality suits the rest of what is being worn is. And, I find more formal oxfords such as the Park Avenue and other more formal cap toes not well suited to more casual clothing.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018