Overcoat Recommendation

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by never behind, Dec 14, 2017.

1. fishertw

fishertw Super Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Boone
    The tweed might be just a small step down in formality from a standard wool overcoat, given your typical wearing of sport coats and worsted trousers, it would seem to me to be an excellent pairing.

williamson likes this.
  2. never behind

never behind Senior Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    For anyone that wants to know, here is what I received from Cordings on the Loden Coat.

Outer Fabric @420/450G
    Lining Fabric @300G
    Composition of outer – 70% Wool 5% Alpaca 25% Polyamide
    Composition of Lining – As above but quilted top section is 51% Viscose/49% Acetate

They sent the attachment as well. I wish I knew what it said.

I am new to thinking about fabric weights; so with the lining we are looking at a 720g coat, or roughly a 25oz coat. That should work for the winter (and without the lining for fall/spring).

It would be unique; I don’t recall seeing anyone wearing this style before in these parts.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the email also noted Cordings has a sale that starts on Friday.

IMG_7708.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. never behind

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I have to say I’m becoming more enamored with the Gloverall duffle coats the more I look at them. I’m almost tempted to get a long navy one of those in lieu of the tweed overcoat and make due on the infrequent times I have to wear a suit in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. EclecticSr.

EclecticSr. Super Member

United States
    New York
    Coram
    Have an O'Connell DB overcoat, heavy weight, have a Crombie King, also heavy. Brooks Golden fleece polo are nice have 2, not as heavy as they once were but still nice. Try Walker Slater I have a heavy British warm style coat from them, for the price it's beautiful, navy color. Have too many coats.

5. CardsHockey

CardsHockey Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Michigan
    Ann Arbor
  6. Green3

Green3 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    NNW
    Oceanside
    I think that is a wise choice. It’s a nice style.

It may be a slight bit informal for a suit but you are still well ahead of the pack.

7. never behind

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I found a Gloverall on eBay and bought it. I’m looking forward to receiving it.