-->

Overcoat Recommendation

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by never behind, Dec 14, 2017.

1. never behind

never behind Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I did see that and thought that would be a nice coat. Then I saw the price and just kept on browsing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delicious_scent likes this.
  2. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
    Light colors are more visible when crossing streets in the dark. Old eyes don't see as well as young eyes. Whoever is driving the vehicle you definitely want them to see you when crossing the streets or driveways.

Is loosely spun yarn warmer than tight? Does the methods of weave create trapped air (insulation)?

Another option is felting. Melton is one method out of several.

That alpaca coat above is nice.

Pea Coats are great if you are climbing steep stairs and climbing ladders, like on a ship.

3. ItalianStyle

ItalianStyle Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    Ontario
    Cambridge
    And when walking from my car to my work entrance in 0 F and freezing winds :cold:

4. never behind

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I’ve been reading several old threads on the forum on the subject of overcoats. Since I am wearing a sport coat/trouser without a tie 98% of the time, is an overcoat too “formal” in the sense that it may look out of place with that level of dress? If I want to wear an overcoat with dark jeans, would a DB coat like the Kings Coat or British Warm work? Or would something like the Loden coat momsdoc posted or a car coat be better for both trousers and jeans? At this point my budget only allows for one nice coat purchase.

5. Green3

Green3 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    NNW
    Oceanside
    One thing to consider about the double breasters is that you pretty much need to wear them buttoned. It’s a lot of material to hang loose. With my single breasted overcoats I often wear them unbuttoned. Double breasted is arguably more formal as well.

If it was me I would get a full length single breasted overcoat in Navy. Charcoal would be second choice. Camel can be nice as well but for me personally not the best choice as a primary overcoat. It could well suit you though.

Take a long look at eBay.

6. fishertw

fishertw Super Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Boone
    A step down in formality is certainly the duffel coat. I recently found a great one in England at a shop named the Highland Shop across the street from the British Museum in London. I think I paid $225 (US) shipped, and it is as heavy if not moreso than the Gloverall that I ve had in the past. Sizing is correct to suit US suit sizing.

7. mrm21711

mrm21711 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Ohio
    Cleveland
    I have this one:
    http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/O-Connell-s-Wool-Topcoat-Navy.html

It is usually included in the 20% winter sale that starts mid January. It is very well made, id call it a "mid weight" coat. Its much lighter than my Gloverall duffles. I like this topcoat but it is cut extremely large. The label says made in Canada and I believe this is made by Cohen.

If you're curious about OC's offerings, pick up the phone. They are incredibly helpful and will answer whatever questions you might have.

8. never behind

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I called them yesterday and the guy seemed to want me off the phone. I think he had someone in store he wanted to help. I may call back tomorrow and have another chat.

Thanks for info!

9. never behind

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I wanted to say I did call back and the gentleman I spoke with was extremely helpful. Didn’t want to leave it with a negative comment.

10. never behind

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I do have a question for the forum. O’Connell’s has a tweed Chesterfield overcoat. My staple trousers and sport coats are your standard worsted wool. Would a tweed overcoat clash if worn with worsted wool? Should I stick with a standard wool overcoat?