-->

Overcoat Recommendation

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by never behind, Dec 14, 2017.

1. never behind

never behind Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Before I found this forum and knew any better, I made the mistake of buying an online MTM overcoat. While the coat fits okay, my beef is it is too light. It is a 15oz fabric. Now that I work in an urban area and have to walk more outside, I’m just cold too often. Today is 30 degrees with a light wind and it was bearable with my sport coat and overcoat. Any colder or windier and walking more than a block or two is unpleasant.

While my current coat will work okay for fall/spring, I need something heavier. I work for a conservative accounting firm, so I think an overcoat/topcoat is the way to go, even if I rarely wear a suit (I always wear a sport coat).

I’d appreciate thoughts on weight - is 18oz too light or should I shoot for 20-22oz? Wind is probably worse to me than air temp, so maybe a thicker weave is better than just outright weight? I’ll admit a British Warm is appealing, as I’m a sucker for the whole “military heritage” bit. Buy that weight may be too much.

Also, recommendations on where to buy? I don’t relish spending $1,000-$1,2000 but I will if I have to. I do want something that I can wear till I die (hopefully 40-50 more years ). I’ve browsed BB and O’Connells. If I tough it out, can I snag a deal post-Christmas or later in the winter?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. delicious_scent

delicious_scent Senior Member

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
  3. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    One of many choices out there. This one comes with a zip out lining for extra warmth when needed. No mention of the weight, but an email will solve that.

A2BD2501-BEE9-4627-9072-DAE16E1CD3B7.png

Without liner and saving some bucks.

14BD8B8E-6EFA-4780-A29C-BDB7816D33B5.png

For maximum warmth, nothing beats a DB coat. Getting pricey. They were about 20% less on Black Friday. Frankly were I using your parameters, with wind protection as my most important function, this bad boy would win. The Oconnell’s above would be a toss up, but if I was to have only one, I’d be going navy or charcoal.

E5F1E082-CF6D-4663-B33C-9C2BBDEBDBAA.png

Now if price were no object, and I wanted tan.

AD39ADAB-1BBF-4F14-9D5D-3720976B0DF2.png

graysuit and never behind like this.
  4. never behind

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    I have to admit that King Coat is absolutely dashing. I also agree on the navy/charcoal; the pause for me on the British Warm was the color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    15 oz is a sports coat weight. 18 oz is also a traditional sports coat weight! There have been some good recommendations already. I have a British warm that I wear a lot in the cold weather, and I love the heavy weight. Weight is a big help with the wind.

18 oz is for a lightweight topcoat, and that's not appropriate for 30 degrees. That's more like what most people I see are wearing today, and they look too cold! That's for more like autumn/spring. 22 oz is the minimum you'll want for this weather, but 28 oz might be better if you're spending some time outside.

williamson likes this.
  6. never behind

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Interesting that several of the overcoats on O'Connell's site are 19oz and they call those "heavy weight."

7. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    You want heavy? I have a 32 oz pea coat.

WDG likes this.
  8. TweedyDon

TweedyDon Connoisseur

United States
    NJ
    Pennington
    In case anyone's interested, a LOT of beautiful vintage topcoats and overcoats will be coming to the Thrift Exchange very soon--many of which will put the quality of contemporary offerings to share! :)

9. delicious_scent

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
    I'm glad I didn't go for a 24 oz. slim fit version I found, anything less would not work all winter for me, and even then some proper layering is required.

10. delicious_scent

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina