Outfit Feedback for work event this evening

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by LookinSharp24, Jan 13, 2018.

1. LookinSharp24

LookinSharp24 Senior Member

United States
    NY
    Harrison
    thinking of wearing the following:

Jacket:
    solid navy (wool/flannel) sport coat

Pants:
    [​IMG]

shirt: solid blue button down collar

shoes:
    [​IMG]

2. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Do you happen to have any khaki hued or even charcoal wool gaberdines? Better choices, methinks. :cool:

3. jackmccullough

jackmccullough Honors Member

United States
    Vermont
    Montpelier
    Yeah, I'm not really feeling the purple pants.

Of course, we know nothing about where you work, what kind of event it is, or what other people will be wearing.

4. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Shoes are nice with the plum/purple trousers. Navy flannel jacket not ideal.

5. Charles Dana

Charles Dana Advanced Member

United States
    California
    San Francisco
    Right. More details about the event would be helpful. My first thought upon seeing the photo of your trousers was, “I’m underwhelmed. I wonder what else he has.”

6. Dcr5468

Dcr5468 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Louisiana
    Mandeville
    What type of work is also relevant...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Green3

Green3 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    NNW
    Oceanside
    Don’t ever say your car is broke.

8. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    If you are going to wear purple trousers it takes some planning to do it well. This isn't a case of I own a navy jacket (starting point) and 3 pairs of grey slacks and 3 pairs of tan slacks and pick one out and it will work easily. Indeed, now you are starting with the converse - you are choosing the trousers (starting point) and working backwards to make the outfit work. The ultimate goal is to make the trousers seem effortless and to work with the outfit as opposed to having the trousers stand out. There is an art to dressy in a colorful fashion but tastefully. Although the trousers are purple (or perhaps plum is a better descriptor) they are dark and they can work well with the correct accoutrements. The boots are a perfect color and since they are high you don't have to worry about the color of your socks. A dark brown belt will work well. For shirt color a pale pink or pale lavender will probably work well. As for a jacket - something in grey - a plain twill might work:

[​IMG]

If you could find a mock turtleneck in something with a purple or plum hue it might work. A pocket square with some dark purple and grey (if you go with a grey jacket) will help pull things together. I actually own a dark plum windowpane jacket that would go perfect with those trousers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's an example of a type of fabric that might work well with those trousers. A windowpane with some dark purple in it (actually it would be better if the hue was a bit closer to the trousers.) Its a bit difficult to match things on your computer screen but not impossible. But hopefully you get the idea. The truth is once you go outside of simple traditional colors like blue, black, grey, tan, brown there is a lot more work to getting an outfit to look right.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  9. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Though I generally like PT101 slacks, I’m not crazy about those, at least as part of the outfit described.

I agree, go with charcoal. Pardon my saying this but the khaki colored or tan colored slacks paired with a navy blazer always reminds me of the typical attire of a sales rep manning the vendor booth at a conference.