Orphan or Blazer?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by toplel, Jul 8, 2018.

1. toplel

toplel New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Is this an orphan or a blazer? If "acceptable orphan" is a thing for you - is it be that, or might a change of buttons fix it?

Very hard to do get the color right in the pics, it is a pale light grey.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Super Member

United States
    NC
    Waxhaw
    I would say that the twill weave, the buttons, and the color lean towards orphaned suit jacket. Pale grey solid would be out of the ordinary for an odd jacket.

toplel and Clintotron like this.
  3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    It's a suit jacket. And if it wasn't, it still wouldn't be a blazer.

damon54 likes this.
  4. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    It’s an orphaned suit jacket. You could probably pull it off with denim, however.

A pic with better lighting might help.

toplel, TheBarbaron and Clintotron like this.
  5. toplel

toplel New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to take a clearer picture, perhaps outside will be better.

I have other (actual) blazers & don't have to wear this..I just like it :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  6. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I do have a solid grey twill sports jacket so they do exist. None the less, this appears to be an orphan. It appears to fit well so I can see why you like it.

Clintotron, Charles Dana and toplel like this.
  7. Charles Dana

Charles Dana Advanced Member

United States
    California
    San Francisco
    Toplel:

I agree. (Well, I agree that the jacket is probably an orphan and that it fits you well. I'm taking JBierly's word for it that he has a solid grey twill sports jacket. I'll be able to confirm that when I sneak into his house while he's at Costco loading up on the Charmin and Tide.)

A solid gray sports jacket is not common, but because your jacket fits you so well, you can make it work. In order to give it that one final nudge from "orphan" to "sport coat" status--and to keep it there--simply maintain a relaxed, insouciant attitude while you're wearing it. If you are comfortable in your own skin, you'll look comfortable in your own clothes. That aura of comfort will then imbue the jacket with "sports coat" status even if it did start life as the top half of a suit.

Keep one thing in mind, though: If you want a true blazer, a genuine navy one is the way to go.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018