Origin of Puff Ties ?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Fashion Frank, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Fashion Frank

Fashion Frank Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Hello all , earlier today I was wondering how frock coats came about and I stumbled upon this web site www.gentlemensemporium.com .

While I was there I was looking at their selection of puff ties ,so I then tried to research them on the internet but could not find anything about them as to how they developed etc .etc.
    Does anyone know they came about.

All the best , Frank

After Thought 7/20/12 Wow I 'm surprised that no one has responded to this thread.
    I would really like to know more about this form of apparel since I cant find out anything about it on the internet.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. Andy

Andy Site Creator/Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Palm Desert
    Admin Post
    It may be just a variation of the many tie knots and named by this company. Even looking at Google there is only one other company that sells a "Puff" tie.

I have an extensive history in the Necktie Chapter of The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes of the progression of different ties and knots.

3. zzdocxx

zzdocxx Honors Member

United States
    California
    San Diego
    I don't know what it is, could you post a picture? The link just took me to a website with lots of old-timey clothes.

4. Fashion Frank

Hello zzdocxx and thanks for responding and sorry for not being clearier on that.

If you follow the link ,when you are at their page ,on the left hand side it has a section "mens clothes" ,click on that and then you will see a " Alexander Parrish ,medical doctor " click on him and you will see the list of everything that he is wearing and they list the "puff tie".

I thank you again for responding ,and perhaps you can shed some light on how that tie developed.

All the Best ,Frank

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  5. zzdocxx

zzdocxx Honors Member

United States
    California
    San Diego
  6. Fashion Frank

Hello all ,I thought that this thread would generated more posts then it has ,as No one has really enlightened me on how this tie came about.

I was thinking that perhaps it was just a strip of cloth in its infancy such as a neckercheif, but alas I still know less than when I started inquiring about this old and somewhat strange neck tie .

All the Best, Frank

7. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Senior Member

The "puff tie" you linked to appear to be nothing more than a cheap (in terms of consctruction) clip-on version of the classic ascot. I've never heard of a "puff tie" and I assume it's simply a name they've made up because they realise they can't possibly justify actually calling it an ascot.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  8. Fashion Frank

Hello Belfaborac , thank you for that very accurate synopsis that I would have to agree with since searching the internet for a timeline as to how they developed got me nowhere fast.

I must assume that your right ,and they are just calling it "puff" ,but it sounds more like "poop" now that I ponder it ,as you stated a "cheap clip on" !

All the Best , Frank