Novelty cufflinks and tie clip - Can they be cool on occasion, or are they always just tacky?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Odradek, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Odradek

Odradek Advanced Member

UK
    Oxfordshire
    Henley on Thames
    As the title says, can quirky cufflinks be cool, or are they always a bad choice?
    For example, I'm a cameraman and have worked for years in the movie business. Would vintage, (probably 1950's) cufflinks in the shape of small cameras be acceptable or are they always bad.

Got to say I dislike most modern cufflinks that try to look like other stuff.

2. Jovan

Jovan Honors Member

United States
    New Mexico
    Albuquerque
    I'd have to see what they look like. But having double sided cuff links up the class factor a little more.

3. arkirshner

arkirshner Honors Member

United States
    OH
    Toledo

When I was young I was told, "Never say never and never say always." You have driven a stake through that wisdom. Fact is, "quirky" cufflinks are never acceptable, but your profession always gives you an exemption. Please post pictures.

Regards,

Alan

4. Balfour

Balfour Suspended

UK
    Scottish Borders
    Innerleithen
    Novelty cufflinks guy > novelty socks guy.

5. Odradek

Odradek Advanced Member

UK
    Oxfordshire
    Henley on Thames
    Hmmm... I'd tend to agree.
    Nevertheless, here's a picture. Sorry it's so huge.

[​IMG]

6. Balfour

Balfour Suspended

UK
    Scottish Borders
    Innerleithen
    Novelty camera cufflinks & tie bar guy +/- novelty socks guy.

Novelty tie bar guy < tie bar guy.

Non-tie bar guy ... hold the flames ... > tie bar guy.

7. Odradek

Odradek Advanced Member

UK
    Oxfordshire
    Henley on Thames
    Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

So, moment of weakness to be even looking at these items. Needless to say I have not bought them.

Generally like my cufflinks to be a bit understated.

8. Balfour

Balfour Suspended

UK
    Scottish Borders
    Innerleithen
    So seems to be the refrain of the fora these days. But I think you posted that in jest.:devil:

+1

9. arkirshner

arkirshner Honors Member

United States
    OH
    Toledo
    Your set has the age and patina to put it in the vintage category, real vintage being the look that new retro can only try, (and fail), to achieve. The same thing in retro would be trying too hard, but vintage, being the real thing, is what it is. The flash bulbs make these semi-antique, and things from a former era have a story, even if the story might be fiction. But the essence of your profession is bringing fiction to life. I like your set as objects in their own right. While Mr. Balfour, and I, and most men might, and probably should, pass on wearing them, we have no connection to what the objects represent. Perhaps a news photographer has the closest connection, if you don't have an old style movie camera set, I should think your connection is close enough.

Most importantly, you recognize they are in your word, quirky. Self recognition is the key. The man who does not know they are quirky is the man who does not have the knowledge to distinguish when and where to wear them. For example, I should think you could wear them at certain gatherings with colleagues. You have been a member here for some time and I trust you have developed the judgement to decide when, and where, you can be "quirky".

Regards,

Alan

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    This makes me sad. :frown: