Nordstrom to open stores with no merchandise.

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Woofa, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Woofa

Woofa Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Fort Worth
  2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Personal stylist? Not really my thing. Can't see most dudes going for this unless the stylist is a hot chick.

3. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Honors Member

United States
    New York
    NY
    Sounds like combining the one drawback of online - you can't see, touch, try on the actual merchandise - with the inconvenience of a store (how clunky did that "curbside pickup" sound as you know that won't be seamless).

4. never behind

never behind New Member

United States
    IN
    Zionsville
    Why would I go pick up something curbside when they'll just ship it to me for free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Adventure Wolf

Adventure Wolf Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    North Carolina
    Raleigh
    As a small business owner, in the marketing trade, most people that go to stores wish to try things on before they buy. If they wish to purchase online, they will do so and have it sent to their house.

6. Adelstensfostre

Adelstensfostre Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Norway
    Østfold
    Fredrikstad
    I thought a personal stylist was a personal hairdresser/make-up artist/podiatrist/whatever? Wouldn't these just be store clerks?

7. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Well dressed clerks.

I get the whole point with personal stylist and I can see them doing this in very specialty markets with clients who may go in for that sort of thing.

A woman calls her "stylist" and a shop and tells her she's going to a party Saturday night and to pull some outfits for her. She goes, tries a bunch on and buys one. Of course, the stuff is there to try on.

I'll hand it to them for thinking outside the box. I wish them well.

8. 3piece

3piece Senior Member

United States
    CA
    Irvine
  9. Woofa

Woofa Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Fort Worth
    I agree it would not be for me. Having said that, if they are trying it I assume they have done their research and think it could work. It will be interesting to see what happens in a year. Certainly AAAC members are not their target audience.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D New Member

United States
    MA
    Longmeadow

Ditto.

11. jeffdeist

jeffdeist Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    VA
    Falls Church
    Sounds quite dull. And a big part of brick and mortar shopping is instant gratification, the ability to take something home here and now.

But, this idea parallels the luxe model of (for example) some Rodeo Drive shops.

12. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    If it helps the bottom line it will last. If not, not. Quite simple, really. They won't get any excitement from me.

13. romrom

romrom New Member

United States
    New York
    NYC
    Sounds like the beginning of the end of Nordstrom to me. Very sad

14. bagcat

bagcat Starting Member

United States
    DC
    Washington
    This reminds me of Bonobo's model. They carried partial inventories in small, rowhouse sized stores to overlap most styles and sizes, and a stylist would make suggestions of size/fit or additional items. I once tried to buy a coat only to be told "nothing in this store is for sale, but we can have it shipped to you."

Imagine the overbearing stylist without anything to try on. You may as well just buy online through free shipping and returns, why even bother with the store.

15. Oldsarge

United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    yes!

16. StephenRG

StephenRG Advanced Member

United States
    New York
    Merrick
    I think we're looking at it from the wrong perspective, or perhaps, dynamic. Because we think of Nordstrom as a B&M store with lots of stuff available to be bought, changing it to this seems like a bad step away from that model. But suppose your regular tailor told you that they were now adding as a service the ability to buy accessories and were bringing in associates to assist less knowledgeable customers - your reaction might be very different, along the lines of, this makes sense, it's good they're expanding their offerings, etc.

And - approximately - this is apparently what Nordstrom is doing.

17. Oldsarge

United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    ^Good point, that. Perhaps someone in Nordie's is thinking outside the B&M box.