-->

Nice looking winter boots w/ decent traction

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by romrom, Dec 19, 2017.

1. scottfranklin

scottfranklin Starting Member

Rochester, New York
    United States
    New York
    Rochester
    Those are the chukkas that caught my eye, so I'd also be interested in knowing if the ANDY10 code works.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Hebrew Barrister

Hebrew Barrister Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    texas
    yourmomtown
    Whoa. Is that a pebbled grain shearling lined chukka with a dainite sole? That would be awesome for casual winter wear when it's real cold.

That's the boot I wish I had in law school. Instead, I had some piece of crap pair I purchased at Walmart.

3. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    The photos didn't post, so I can't see the boot in question. However, when I attempted to purchase Cheaney chukkas from Herring and apply the discount, it didn't work because they were Cheaney branded rather than Herring branded. But I'm assuming the boots in which you have an interest are Herring branded, so I'm at a loss, unless the AAAC discount no longer applies.

4. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Sometimes that’s all you need my friend!

5. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    No they are Cheany branded on the Herring site that AAAC links to. Just as well. I forgot, and my son reminded me when I called him. I liked the Heshung Zemmat boot so much that I bought them for him last year in the early summer on clearance from NMWA. He’s been wearing them all week along with the shearling Meermins.

Damn, it must have been a great discount, or I was in a great mood.

6. Hebrew Barrister

Hebrew Barrister Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    texas
    yourmomtown
    I went to law school many moons ago in Denver. I now live in Houston -- much less use for shearling lined boots here. Trudging across campus in 20 degree weather, those shearlings would have been nice!

7. scottfranklin

Rochester, New York
    United States
    New York
    Rochester
    Windchill is going to hit -20°F here in Rochester this weekend, so the shearling chukkas are looking particularly attractive at the moment. Unlikely I can get them delivered in a day, though, and I'm traveling a lot the rest of this month, so this may be a purchase I sleep on for a week or two.

8. scottfranklin

Rochester, New York
    United States
    New York
    Rochester
    Ok, now that I've slept on it, I have a question about size. My cobbler advised that, with a shearling lining, fit is critical since any sliding in the shoe will wear a hole in the lining and that may not be reparable. I'm in between a 9.5 & 10 (US). I have 2 pairs of Paul Evans (burgundy chukka, of course & brown wholecut) in a size 9 (European) and a Fratelli monkstrap & Ferragamo moc loafer in an 8.5. The loafer is a nice fit; the left shoe has a tongue pad to keep it snug.

So...given that an overseas return to Herring would be a real pain, I'm guessing I should probably order the 8.5? My cobbler once advised (before the moc purchase) better small than large, since he can stretch it a bit if necessary. Is that possible w/a lining?

9. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    Skin is skin.
    Lasts are lasts
    Size numbers are irrelevant. As an aside you do not own a size 8.5 nor a 9 European. You own an 8.5 and 9 UK. Confuse the 3 sizing systems at your own peril.

Edit: On Herring’s site, the Shackleton is £329.17 ex-VAT. On Cheany’s own website the same Shackleton is on sale for £245.83 ex-VAT.
    It is sold out in UK8.5 on Cheany’s site but available in UK9. You can choose to be notified when the 8.5 returns to stock. You can email them to find out when, approximatly, that will be. It is currently available in both sizes on the Herring site, at the higher price.

Under the heading of wide shoes, the Cheany site recommends a G width except in the 12508 last, where the F width is called “generous”.

With any fur lined boot, I place a plain Dr. Scholl’s (actually the cheapest thinnest drug store knock off) insert in to protect the fur from just this type of wear issue. It doesn.t affect the length or width of the footwear at all, but reduces the overall volume by a nearly imperceptible amount.

If you have a high instep that causes the vamp to feel tight, the insert will accentuate it to a tiny degree initially. After just a few wears, the insert is flattened like a pancake and the vamp will have stretched a fraction of a mm to accommodate your foot.

With a low instep you would need the thicker inserts, or the fancier kind that are more substantial than the plain cheap foam to take up some volume should the boot feel a bit loose. Tongue pads work much better for this purpose, but do not protect the shearling lining from the abrasive effects of your sole when walking. A combination of inserts of varying thicknesses and design with or without a tongue pad can compensate for a 1/2 of a half size difference in shoe fit.

In a boot, if between half sizes, I would opt for the larger size and rely on the inserts and/or tongue pads to “fix” the fit with a boot as opposed to relying on a boot stretcher. With boots, the high vamp locks your foot in better than in a shoe.

With a shoe I would go to the smaller 1/2 of the half size and use a stretcher, plus breakin period to get the volume I needed. Shoe/boot stretchers do a better job at widening than at lengthening.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  10. scottfranklin

Rochester, New York
    United States
    New York
    Rochester
    Wow, thanks! Exactly what I needed. I had no idea UK & Euro styles were different. So much to learn...

Great idea with the thin insert. That alleviates a lot of concern about getting the sizing just right. I had bad experiences with loafers when I didn't even realize what correct sizing would feel like. I'm learning, but slowly, and sometimes literally painfully.

There seem several advantages of at least trying the 9 vs. 8.5, not least being immediate availability at the Cheaney shop. Saving £100 (including VAT) is not trivial.

Thanks again!