-->

Nice looking winter boots w/ decent traction

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by romrom, Dec 19, 2017.

1. romrom

romrom New Member

United States
    New York
    NYC
    I'm looking for a nice looking pair of boots I can wear for winter. Doesn't have to be dress boots, but shouldn't be work boots either. Ideally something with decent traction (rubber sole I guess), though I won't wear it in 12 inches of snow (I already have snow boots) and goodyear welt. Someone mentioned Thursday boots. Are they good or do you have better suggestions?

2. fishertw

fishertw Super Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Boone
    Ive had good luck with DuBarry chelsea type boots. Good traction and decent looking as a (less than a suit) dressy but functional boot.

3. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    Budget?

4. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    Fully shearing lined with a Victory sole.

The Hesgung Zemmat boot has traction, warmth, superb leather. and style. The best winter boot I've ever had by far.

IMG_6326.JPG

5. romrom

romrom New Member

United States
    New York
    NYC
    Trying to spend less than $300

6. romrom

romrom New Member

United States
    New York
    NYC
    How do the Herrings and/or Meermins differ from the likes of Red Wings and Thursday boots? Also, does Dainite sole provide enough traction for light snow and ice?

7. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    1. Both are much more refined than either Redwing or Thursday. And the hides used for the uppers are of substantially higher quality. I know nothing about Thursday, but at their prices a U.S. marketed boot has to have compromises. Redwing makes very solid work-wear type boots if that's what you're looking for.

But momsdoc is the true Meermin expert, so I hope he chimes in again.

2. I wore my chukkas with Dainite soles in light snow and ice the other day, and they performed very well.

RogerP likes this.
  8. delicious_scent

delicious_scent Senior Member

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
    Red Wing is unapologetically blobby and rustic in shape and styling in comparison to Meermin.

For me, they definitely work.
    [​IMG]

Based on your criteria though, I think Flanderian's suggestions are most appropriate. The grained nature helps to make them more casual and less dressy.

9. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    Meermin makes a standard shearling boot as well as the occasional MTO. You would never confuse them with workbootd or snow boots. They are dress derbies, and the only one who will know they areshearling lined is the wearer. To everyone else they look like an elegant dress derby boot.

Since I have the Heshung Zemmat, I have not purchased them for myself, but for my son. He swears by the warmth of these fully shearling lined boots, with a double rubber sole with the same nice snow traction pattern as Danite, and a storm welt to boot (no pun intended). At $265 and $35 shipping, they come right in at your budget. I will go out on a limb and say you will not find a more handsome, better made fully shearing lined boot at that price.

4C94D076-2E6E-43FA-87A4-93DA3A37721F.jpeg

9E54C756-566B-4761-8009-9DCF6E8F04B2.png

47828FE6-AB2F-45D3-981D-9A9FD308050D.png