New soles for Alden Kudu Chukka

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by seanm440, May 15, 2018.

1. seanm440

seanm440 New Member

United States
    New York
    Buffalo
    Its time for new soles for my Alden Kudu chukka boots. I've had them for about six years and the sole is worn down in places. Its time for something new. The problem, of course, is deciding what should be done.

I live in the Buffalo, NY area, so weather is certainly an issue. For the most part, however, these boots will be worn in the wet weather of the fall and spring. During the winter, I will wear them to work with chinos. Quite often on such occasions, I will have to walk from my car to my classroom on sidewalks with a bit of snow. Unless something very out of the ordinary takes place, these boots will not see heavy snow.

I've contacted Nick V at B. Nelson shoes. He has suggested that I use either a Dainite sole or a Commando sole. The Commando soles would better match the soles that came with the shoes. They would also most likely provide a bit better traction in snow. On the other hand, I have Dainite soles on two other pairs of shoes, and I like them a lot. For me, they provide good traction in wet weather and seem to grip well on snow-covered sidewalks. However, Dainite soles will change the look of my boots a bit. I'm having trouble deciding whether the boots will look better or worse.

My ultimate goal is to end up with a versatile pair of boots that I can comfortably wear with chinos (and occasionally with jeans) in a variety of weather conditions. I'd love to hear your thoughts on which sole would help me to achieve this goal.

Thanks

2. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    In wet conditions I have experienced no particular loss of traction with Dainite. In snow and otherwise icy conditions, I've experienced issues with Dainite and generally avoid wearing them.

As for the look of the boot, I prefer the lower profile of the Dainite on a chukka. Given that you will not be wearing them in snow and ice, I'd go with Dainite.

3. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Super Member

United States
    NC
    Waxhaw
    What commando sole? The Alden version is pretty low profile but a Vibram commando is pretty hardcore.

My first choice would probably be dainite but I live in a place where it snows once a year. When that happens I stay inside or venture out with crampons and an ice axe.

4. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    My choice would be the Dainite sole. Commando sole designs have a tendency to pick up and hold on to debris, allowing such to be carried inside, as we arrive at our respective destinations. :(

5. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    Your next sole replacement will be much further in the future if you go with Dainite.

6. swils8610

swils8610 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    East Amherst
    I’m from Buffalo too. There is a cobbler at Main and Transit. I believe it just says Shoe Repair on the building. It’s next to Pesci’s Pizza. The guy is an artist. Give him a shot. You won’t be sorry. He is an Alden enthusiast. He retains Alden’s also. He put commando soles on some leather soled Alden’s if mine. Cheers!

7. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    When I purchased my first pair of English shoes with commando soles I was startled. Over the years I had had numerous pairs of American made shoes with soles described as commando. The English commando soles were very different. They were much thicker and the cleats much deeper, about 1/4 inch deep.

They're great soles! Serious, go anywhere, all-terrain soles. But they are, frankly, more at home and comfortable on open land than pavement. So since I believe B. Nelson's Dainite are the English make by that name, I wonder if their commando soles are also the same as the English commando soles I have? If they are, unless I planned a substantial portion of their use off-pavement, I would opt for the Dainite, which I also have, for all around use. Whereas if they're the less aggressive form of commando, those would suit equally well.

8. seanm440

seanm440 New Member

United States
    New York
    Buffalo
    Thank you for all of your comments. Based on the responses, it seems that the Dainite is the way to go. I've been leaning that way is well - especially since I have been so happy with them on my AE's.

Swils - thanks for the tip on the cobbler up your way. I have some relatives that are not too far away from that location. Going local would save me from having to ship my shoes off to B. Nelson. Any sense of how the local cobbler compares to Nelson in quality and price? I love to support a local guy. However, I do want quality work. I also like the fact that Nick V. from B. Nelson is active in this forum.

9. swils8610

swils8610 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    East Amherst
    Quality is top notch and price is more than fair. Give them a call and ask for Donny. He’s the owner craftsman. His passion is fine footwear. He’s an artist. Tell him Shannon with the Alden Shell cordovan boots and shoes referred you. He’s the only guy that I will let touch my shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. seanm440

seanm440 New Member

United States
    New York
    Buffalo
    Sounds like Transitown Shoe Repair. I will give them a call. Thanks again Shannon. The tip is much appreciated.