New Shoes Thread

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by CLTesquire, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Odradek

Odradek Advanced Member

UK
    Oxfordshire
    Henley on Thames
    Really don't need any new shoes but had to succumb to this bargain in the New & Lingwood sale.

8 tie wholecuts, reduced from £445 to £195.

P1180653.jpeg

From trying to decode the last number inside, I'm pretty sure they are made by Cheaney, who make their own wholecuts on the same 205 last.

https://www.cheaney.co.uk/mens-c48/...ey-whole-cut-oxford-in-conker-calf-leather-p2

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    delicious_scent and upr_crust like this.
  2. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^
    An intriguing and very handsome design. I cannot recall ever before seeing an eight tiered lacing throat in a low quarter shoe design. How do they feel on the foot?:icon_scratch:

3. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    I normally wear a size 9.5D and ordered a size 9.5D. Can't speak for DashingMan's experience, but my Sherman Ranger Mocs fit true to size.

4. DashingMan

DashingMan New Member

United States
    Minnesota
    Duluth
    Same for me as Eagle has replied. I have two other pairs of Rancourt shoes and I've ordered the same size, 9.5B, in all of them. These latest are true to size. They're comfortable right out of the box; very little break-in seems to be needed. The crepe sole is really a delight.

5. Odradek

Odradek Advanced Member

UK
    Oxfordshire
    Henley on Thames
    I've been admiring them in the New & Lingwood shop window for a few years now.
    Definitely unusual, but I've always been in two minds about wholecuts.

I only tried them on briefly this morning and they feel good.

6. delicious_scent

delicious_scent Senior Member

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
    Any tips on how to size for the last? How roomy are the ankles and instep? It says 397 last on skoak's website, never seen that one before.

Their 234 last for me in 8.5UK was good in width/length, but the instep was too high for me.

Also, I've never owned a pair of chukkas before, how easy are they to slip on/off vs. a pair of derbies?

What was the total cost with duties and taxes?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  7. delicious_scent

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
    These look amazing. The european manufacturers know how to make a proper looking apron-toe compared to the american ones.

8. Adelstensfostre

Adelstensfostre Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Norway
    Østfold
    Fredrikstad
    I quite like the AE Walton, my only pair of US made shoes and now unfortunately only available in black. Otherwise I wholeheartedly agree.

[​IMG]

9. delicious_scent

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
    I like how those look, better than the AE Bradleys I was picturing when I made that post.

[​IMG]

10. Adelstensfostre

Adelstensfostre Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Norway
    Østfold
    Fredrikstad
    Indeed, I'm not keen on those myself either. Nor the Delray. Actually, the Walton is the only design from AE that like at all, but that's a different matter....

11. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville

12. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    The fit here is VERY similar to my Rain last Carmina suede chukkas, with just a shade more room in the toe box.

I have a high instep and these fit comfortably- but then chukkas are generally fairly forgiving at the instep.

Just as easy to put on and remove as derbies.

These sailed through with no duties or taxes imposed. It's why I pay a little extra for postal shipping - you at least stand a chance of dodging the tax bullet.

First wearing today and so far so very good!

delicious_scent likes this.
  13. delicious_scent

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
    excellent, thanks for the information!

RogerP likes this.
  14. Howard

Howard Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    Bayside
    those shoes look solid gold.

15. ItalianStyle

ItalianStyle New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Cambridge
    I got a good deal on a pair of Edward Green Shannon (I) boots on the 202 last (my first EG!).

They are in utah leather and suede and has the Ridgeway rubber sole.
    I intend to use them in the Canadian fall and winter (not knee deep snow though).

Do you think I should add some protection to the suede part before first use?

shannon.JPG

16. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    Never leave home without nanoprotector

17. RogerP

RogerP Connoisseur

Canada
    ON
    Oakville
    Nice! Did you find those Shannons in Canada? As Momsdoc said - treat the suede with nanoprotector and I'd add a fresh coat of wax to that Utah. I find it to be not the most naturally water repellant leather. The treated suede will actually shed water much better.

18. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Super Member

United States
    NC
    Waxhaw
    I put a fresh coat of wax on my recent EG Utah purchase and was surprised at how it just sucked it right up. I agree wholeheartedly with @RogerP in that you should consider doing the same with those new Shannons @ItalianStyle

Cool boots by the way. I bet the combo of Utah and suede is ridiculously comfortable.

19. ItalianStyle

ItalianStyle New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Cambridge
    It was an ebay seller from Montreal.

20. ItalianStyle

ItalianStyle New Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Cambridge
    Advice taken on the nanoprotector and the wax.
    Thanks!